PDA

View Full Version : Shedding and other question

Shedding and other question

missblackstar
03-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I found Jynx's shed when i got home today and for the first time it wasn't in one piece, instead it was in three pieces, but pretty complete pieces.

The eyecaps are on the shed but there seems to be the very very tip of his tail missing but its literally a dot missing off the end.

As some may know i have been having some behavioural problems with him and find it difficult to pick him up because he just bites all the time. Today he is not being as aggressive and i'm pretty sure i could pick him up to check his tail but he ate yesterday.

Should i try and pick him up carefully just to check his tail? Should i be worried about the shed being in 3 big pieces?

zwyatt
03-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't pick him up within 48 hours of feeding. It may seem harmless enough to just check his tail, but if you end up with a regurge you'll wish you hadn't done it. One extra day or so won't hurt to wait.
With the shed being in three pieces you might check your humidity. Although, an incomplete shed doesn't always mean low humidity. I've had a few come off in pieces and my humidity was around 60%. If it happens again, then you might want to think about using a moist hide or misting in the future around shedding times.
Definitely do make sure all the shed came off his tail and use a wet paper towel or washcloth to get it off it didn't come off. Just don't be in too big a rush and risk a regurge.

missblackstar
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
ok thats great thank you for your advice, i wasn't sure how big the risk of regurge would be..

oh, also, not his last feed but the one before i gave him a brown coloured mouse, and he's always had white ones, and he wouldn't eat it. I know it seems silly but because it was different to what he usually eats would that be a reason for him not eating it?

zwyatt
03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
oh, also, not his last feed but the one before i gave him a brown coloured mouse, and he's always had white ones, and he wouldn't eat it. I know it seems silly but because it was different to what he usually eats would that be a reason for him not eating it?

That's an interesting question. I really don't know. I can't say that I can remember ever hearing about something like that happening to anyone else. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has ever experienced it. I'm not sure how much attention (if any) they pay to the color. :shrugs:

Tracee
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
That's an interesting question. I really don't know. I can't say that I can remember ever hearing about something like that happening to anyone else. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has ever experienced it. I'm not sure how much attention (if any) they pay to the color. :shrugs:
Probably coincidence, but out of 6 or 7 times I've offered mine a brown mouse, he's only eaten the one.

I just ask for "jumbos, all white please :D" in store now :)

Who knows!