PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with her?

What's wrong with her?

Nikki_4497
03-13-2006, 03:49 PM
I have a 8 month year old Lavender Kingsnake, who I swear, has always been an absolute ANGEL, the most docile little snake ever, but recently she's become incredibly snappy and has bitten my boyfriend, (who actually lives with her all the time at the moment, it's not like she's not used to him, he handles her more than I do) now twice in two days, bearing in mind she has never even come close to biting anyone before, she's never even struck at anything, and is always very calm. She's also wrecking her cage a lot more then usual, bunching the newspaper up and turning her hides over.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? She's about 2ft long, and we feed one fuzzie a week, her viv is still big enough for her, another two/three months perhaps, and it'll be time for her to move into the bigger one we're getting ready...

I'm just at a bit of a loss as to what can be making her behave like this, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nikki

Nikki_4497
03-13-2006, 03:53 PM
PS. Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I've just seen the 'behaviour' forum, feel free to move it wherever is appropriate!

Tracee
03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Nikki, corn or king? 8 month or a year? lol your post is a little confusing.

I've done some searches but not come up with anything concrete. It seems very strange a docile snake should turn like that.

Maybe there is a problem with the conditions in her vivarium?

How do you measure temperature? Can you take a reading from both sides and post what they are?

Otherwise is she ok; eating and drinking enough? Is she eating food of sufficient size, often enough? It's girth you want to go by here, and not length.
Do you know not to handle until a couple of days after feeding? Do you/your boyfriend wash your hands before handling?

Sorry to be rather vague, I'm just not quite sure what has upset her!

kimbyra
03-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Are you sure she is a she? I know the boys get a little crazy during breeding season.

colinmcc
03-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Are you sure she is a she? I know the boys get a little crazy during breeding season.

Exactly what I was thinking .......

Cflaguy
03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
My thoughts but would he be looking for love at his age? If he is only two feet I mean? I will say this, My male Brooksi King, 2y/o, is usually kinda "pissy" but has never bitten. Until I got a female Eastern King this winter. She is of age for breeding but still young; next year is her year. But I'm wondering if she isn't throwing some sreious hormones. She is across the house, but I'm sure he knows she is there. LOL.