PDA

View Full Version : Can corn snake raise their heads?

Can corn snake raise their heads?

KungFu Rider
04-15-2002, 01:07 PM
I was wondering if corn snakes raise their heads off the ground like cobras do? I think that's scary. If they do that, does it mean that they are getting ready to strike?

Elaphe_Mo
04-15-2002, 01:17 PM
corn snakes can raise their heads up, but of course they don't have a hood like a cobra, so they're not so scary. Mine mostly do it when they are climbing around, not when they're angry/afraid. It is amazing how much of their body they can support that way. Usually if they are going to strike they will take up more of an "S" shape.

KungFu Rider
04-15-2002, 02:08 PM
Only when they're climbing? So it means that it's not likely that they are just going to slither in the middle of the floor and then raise their heads for no reason?

It's scary because when they raise their heads it makes them look like they're looking at you. That's why I want to get one of those snakes with ruby-red eyes. That way I won't notice the pupils (It's the reason I don't like geckos, etc.).

nicky
04-15-2002, 04:27 PM
well some times nicky my corn willl raise up like a cobra and then wiggle around for abit but I think he just like s to show off by saying" look at me arn't I cute" nah I don''t think they do that if there mad maybe thoe

Jr Nimeskern
04-15-2002, 05:16 PM
My corn doesnt really do it all that much... like Elaphe said it usually takes up a "S" shape when its about to bight... plus they stare at what theyre about to bight... so if it has that look in his eye... I would wait to hold him another time...

Iris
04-15-2002, 05:35 PM
yeah mine only does it when he's trying to reach the top of the tank. He thinks he can make it.
Otherwise he only curls into the "s" shaped defense position if he sees something suddenly move or if he's scared in any other way. He's never bitten me, but when he strikes at mice, you can usually see the attack coming.

kenalotia
04-15-2002, 05:44 PM
Maybe he is looking at you when he raises his head up. Or at least he's looking around. You get a much better view when you do that, and I've seen other snakes lift their heads to look around a bit. How high was he lifting it?

nicky
04-15-2002, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenalotia
[B]Maybe he is looking at you[/i] [QUOTE] when he raises his head up. Or at least he's looking around. You get a much better view when you do that, and I've seen other snakes lift their heads to look around a bit. How high was he lifting it?

like kenalotia said maybe your corn wants to get a better look at you. corns are very curious animals ya know they'll stick there noise in to everything either or I don't think they would strik at you like a cobra. It would be cool to own a cobra thoe....(maybe when i'm older):rolleyes: :rolleyes: nah:D

Simon
04-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Well they mostly raise up their heads because they want to get a better view or find something up there to climb as they do like to climb trees out in the wild. It's just natural for them to raise their heads up to find something to climb.

Rachel
04-16-2002, 07:48 AM
just a bit of info some of you might find interesting if you didnt know already,
corns (amongst many other snake species) make that "s" shape with their neck so as to imitate a cobra! In the wild, animals could mistake this s shape for a cobra's hood and not bother the otherwise pretty harmless corn snake!

StevesBro
04-17-2002, 08:27 PM
yeah, whenever i bring my 10 month old baby bro into the room, my amel will raise her neck 7 inches off the ground and level her head, looks like a retarded cobra hehe ;) its only when my little bro comes in, which makes you think they must have a good memory!

Serpwidgets
04-18-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
just a bit of info some of you might find interesting if you didnt know already,
corns (amongst many other snake species) make that "s" shape with their neck so as to imitate a cobra! In the wild, animals could mistake this s shape for a cobra's hood and not bother the otherwise pretty harmless corn snake!

I doubt this. Since cobras are not native to North America and no land animals migrate that far, no animal that will ever see a cornsnake would ever also see a cobra in its lifetime.

Also, I really doubt that a cornsnake knows what a cobra is or does. Since neither the snake nor the other animal knows what a cobra is, this just doesn't add up.

Also, people suggest that corns rattle their tails to imitate a rattlesnake. More anthropomorphizing, I say.

Rachel
04-18-2002, 05:48 AM
umm ok, thing is its a instinct thing. Most dogs in the UK will never have seen a snake but they are still instinctively wary of them and pat down grass when going to the loo. At some point this trait has been passed down. If you doubt my word then check Hickman et al. Integrated principles of Zoology. I think you will find that I am right.

Serpwidgets
04-18-2002, 06:16 AM
I agree that it's instinctual, but that doesn't explain why pythons and boas (which evolved before cobras) do this. It is a behavior that was around before cobras ever existed...

Also, I've never seen any other snake lift its head straight up before striking laterally, as cobras do when they are displaying their hoods. In my experience, the S shape is always pointing more or less directly at the target, rather than being perpendicular to it. This allows for all of the energy to be directed that way when they "spring."

It makes a lot more sense to me that the position they take is the one from which they have the best shot. This is the classic "s" position, because they strike by straightening out their neck. I don't see what other position they could possibly take before effectively striking.

jim
04-18-2002, 06:35 AM
my understanding of the tail-rattling is that most snakes shake their tails while nervous and that the rattles of a rattlesnake were a favorable genetic mutation that has developed over millions of years. in a geologic time-scale rattles on snakes are quite a new development. the theory is this: snakes shook their tails when they felt threatened.... then ... some of the forerunners of present-day rattlesnakes had a genetic mutation that caused part of their skin to catch at the end and not fully detach. now these incomplete sheds would rattle when the snake shakes its tail. this aided the snake in warning of predators thus becoming a favorable genetic adaptation of the snake. as time went on more and more of these "pre"-rattlesnakes showed the trait and refined it into better and better rattles over a long period of time. as this (the tail-shaking) was a quality (i believe) that snakes as a group posessed before rattlesnakes even evolved, i think it would be wrong to assume that non-rattlesnakes use this behavior as a mimicry of rattlers. following the same vein of logic i would be inclined to agree with serpwidgets on the posture issue as well. i hope this was explained clearly... if not let me know... :) ---jim

Rachel
04-18-2002, 07:25 AM
Ok I see what you mean...I guess I shouldnt believe everything I read in books!:rolleyes:
What I know for sure (not really relevant to the post but interesting anyway) is that Hognoses (Heterodon spp.) can flatten their necks mimicing cobras and that pipesnakes (along with a few other spp. which Ive forgotton now!) have flattened tails. This distracts potential predators from their vulnerable head area. They coil up, covering their heads and "strike" at the predator with their tail!
Pretty cool huh?!

KungFu Rider
04-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Oh, so corn snakes don't raise their heads STRAIGHT up, just in sort of an angle? Okay, that's not that scary then. When you all say that corn snakes DO raise their heads, I thought they'll raise straight up like a cobra.

Rachel
04-18-2002, 08:52 AM
uh well they can raise their heads straight up too! Usually when they are trying to reach something like a branch etc.
How come you are so hung up on whether they can raise their heads? Remember, they rarely bite and when they do its not sore!

KungFu Rider
04-18-2002, 12:59 PM
'Cause I've heard that when snakes raise their heads, it means they're about to attack. Everybody has said that their bites don't hurt, but I've heard that they've gotten bitten and their fingers bled. Do adult corn snakes have teeth? If so, are they sharp?

kenalotia
04-18-2002, 01:37 PM
Well, my snakes have raised their heads lots of times, but have never once tried to attack me. Mainly they're looking up. It's hard to see much when you're laying flat on the ground. Sometimes they were looking at me, sometimes they were looking up a branch or the sides of their tanks. So I think you were misinformed about what the raising of the head means. Corns are more likely to attack when they've got their necks in an S-shape. But even then it just means they're nervous, and they're more likely to withdraw and try to hide rather than attack.

I've never been bitten, so I can't tell you how much it hurts. My boyfriend was bitten once by my baby corn snake and said it didn't hurt. She (the snake) was about to escape if he didn't grab her. So he probably grabbed her quickly and suddenly, and at the time she wasn't as used to him as she was to me. I've heard that a bite from an adult corn tends to sting a bit, but not very much. Kind of like a bee sting or something.

Elaphe_Mo
04-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Corn snakes do have teeth, and they are sharp. But by the time your little guy is all grown up, it will probably be so tame that you will never get a bite. I've only ever been bitten by an adult due to my own stupidity (ie smelling like mouse and waving my hands in front of them). It did leave a little mark but really I was much more surprised than hurt. If you handle your new hatchling often and get it used to you, you most likely won't have to worry about a bite. Most of my adults are so tame I can poke them on the nose and they will just lick my finger to say "hi".

absolutneil
04-18-2002, 04:58 PM
anthropomorphizing means: To ascribe human characteristics to things not human. I don't believe that is what Rachel was doing.

I can't say I agree with her concerning her cobra theory nor her one concerning dogs and snakes. In fact I know of a school for dogs that spacifically trains dogs to avoid snakes and fear them.

Serpwidgets
04-18-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by absolutneil
anthropomorphizing means: To ascribe human characteristics to things not human. I don't believe that is what Rachel was doing.

I now don't believe she was doing that, but the original wording was such that it sounded like that's what she was doing. I just don't like the use of the word "imitate" in these situations.

Serpwidgets
04-18-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by KungFu Rider
'Cause I've heard that when snakes raise their heads, it means they're about to attack. Everybody has said that their bites don't hurt, but I've heard that they've gotten bitten and their fingers bled. Do adult corn snakes have teeth? If so, are they sharp?

Getting bitten is a natural consequence to expect from pretty much any pet... just count on it happening at some point when you're not expecting it.

If you're that scared of and worried about being bitten, maybe you should become more familiar/comfortable with snakes before getting one.

I've been bitten by dogs and cats (and mice/rats, and ferrets, and parakeets) plenty of times. Dog and cat teeth are specifically 'designed' to rip and tear flesh, and do a great job of it. Snakes only have little needlepoints that poke and hold on.

Yes, it hurts, but I'll take 100 bites from an adult cornsnake before any dog or cat bite.

absolutneil
04-22-2002, 01:30 PM
I try to tell people this all of the time. No one listens.

i think they are subconciously relating any snake bite with fangs and venom.

dogs and cats do far more damage to there owners every year than snakes.

You always hear some story about some kid being malled by a neighbors dog, but when is the last time a cornsnake made the news?

they are just about as peaceful a pet as you can get second to some fish. (Not even all pet fish are that nice eg: oscars!)

kellum
04-22-2002, 04:40 PM
yeah. A bluefish I caught onetime nearly severed my thumb. So truly a fish has caused a worse bite wound to me than the snakes that have bitten me.
Also had an anole bite me one time and would NOT let go. I finally had to hold him under water in the sink to get him off.

All the snakes I have been bit by have been wild caught and just hit and run so to speak.. never really gnawed or held on.

Rachel
04-23-2002, 03:40 AM
waaaaa why is everyone so quick to jump on what I say????
First of all I would like to say I am right about the dog thing. Maybe I was wrong about the imitating thing...Im just quoting from a book! But as for dogs...definately true. I know because I have done alot of research about this....spoke to geneticits and my genes and evolution lecturer. He's a prof so I think he would know. I have read alot of books, journals and thesis papers about it so I know for a fact I am right. And as for this school that trains dogs to be scared of snakes and avoid them....I'm sure there probably is but still, they are probably working on the dogs natural instincts!
Just to clear that up.......

Khaman
04-23-2002, 11:38 AM
I have one of mine that routinely picks her food up and slithers away with it with her head up.

galaxip
05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Khaman
I have one of mine that routinely picks her food up and slithers away with it with her head up. I've heard of this and hope to see it someday soon. Amusing/cute mental image.

ronlina
05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
waaaaa why is everyone so quick to jump on what I say????
First of all I would like to say I am right about the dog thing. Maybe I was wrong about the imitating thing...Im just quoting from a book! But as for dogs...

Just had to vouch for her -

This was actually meantioned in one of my animal science classes, dogs do in fact often turn around and pat their resting area before sleeping because of the innate thought to check for danger, i.e. snakes, or anything else that may potentially harm them. They aren't even conscience when they do it, nor realize that they do it. They also go into a fit about ice getting lodged between their claws, I was told, and certain breeds will right away lick their paws to get rid of the ice or snow, although the pads on their feet give substantial protection against the cold.

Lots of these types of behaviors can be attributed to many animals and have their simmilarities between different animals.

Just had to elaborate there, she just made one mistake on something that she read someplace, no reason to get crazy over fun facts, eh?

Oh and my snake raises her head a lot, too - but she usually only explores her cage after feeding. I hope, then, that her excessive hiding (even at night) is not a sign of depression?

galaxip
05-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes dogs often do pat down the area they lie down on...
But saying WHY they do it is assigning thoughts to them that they do not have. As you said, they often don't seem aware they're even doing it.

My personal opinion is that dogs pat down their beds because in nature, they'd be either matting down the grass to form a bed, or else fluffing up the grass to make the bed softer. Either way a comfort thing. But that is only an opinion, not a testable fact.

But my real point is, we can debate WHY they do it all day long and accomplish nothing... All you can really say is they pat down their bed.

Same thing with corn snakes. You can't exactly ask them WHY they shake their tails. All you can say is, when nervous, they rattle their tails, and so do other snakes.