• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tail Tip Problem

3330PHILIP

Hi guys.

Got a wee problem i'm concerned about.

My corn's tail tip might come off. He's had 2 sheds and tail tip hasn't come off. I've tried wet paper towell and let snake glide thru while i'm holding. I put him in a damp tub for couple hours then let him glide thru my hands. I've tried gently picking at it but it caused the corn discomfort and he bit at me. So i've stopped that. what else. and if tip comes off what should i do. otherwise he is just fine. eats/sleeps/drinks and stays merry all the time and it doesn't seem to bother him at all, unless i start touching it.

Is the tail tip black? If not I'd keep at the wet towel/soak trick because you might still be able to save it. I had one of mine loose a tale not to long ago so I can give you some advice. When it turned black I called my vet and she said to watch the humidity and make sure the viv was as clean as possable. The risk is that the dead flesh will get infected and spread. In the case of my snake the tail tip fell off with no problems. Just do your best not to let it happen again (I know I am). It can't be to pleasent for the snake :rolleyes: .

Laura

When I have missed noticing it for awhile, and the tail tip is hard from several sheds built up, this is what I do.

First, I let the snake stay in a very moist hide or container (like a nest box) for 24 - 48 hours, much like you have already done. Then I try to rub the tip between my fingers to see if it has loosened enough that it will start to come off when "worked" between fingers. A few times when that didn't work, I actually used my fingernail to break the adhesion, using increasingly more aggressive force.

Usually, the mess will come off with some force. A few times, there was a little blood and a very slight injury. I think once the very tip of the tail came off. But the injury was very slight, and a little antibiotic ointment on the tip was all I used with no subsequent problems. If it is going to break off anyway, you might as well do it sooner, rather than later. But if it has only been two sheds built up, it really should not take much force to get it off.

If there is a small injury, a scab will form and the next shed may also need help in the same place. But I have never seen any damage that causes more than a very small cosmetic problem.

Got the skin off the tip now!

Left him in moist tub all day. Had to struggle with him getting it off but its ok now.

Since i have managed to take the skin off tip of tail, (was really well on and caused little bit of discomfort for him), he's been snappy with me.

He takes the strike pose and shakes his tail. I know he can't hurt me with a strike as he's still a bit wee to do much but he doesn't actually strike so i can lift him, when i do he's quite happy to climb over me.

When i put him down, say on my bed so he can stretch out he will take the pose again, even though i'm down at his level and a wee distance away from him. He makes himself look bigger when i try pick him up again, i try picking him up moving slowly and at his level, not over the top as he might think i'm an animal going to eat him!!

Why would he behave like this? I thought snakes are not that intelligent to think of me = hurt tail tip?

Any info will help.

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe he is still a bit uncomfortable. Just handle him as you always did. Ignore his bad behavior and make sure he is always behaving well when you put him back in his cage (if he starts having a bad attitude just before you put him back, then keep him out a little longer until he settles down). Always end the handling session on a positive note. Just give him time.

just to a note lol.. I was in a pet store the other day and they had a stripped Amel corn, and the poor little guy had about an inch or so of skin still left on. you could see where the tail was starting to loose circulation. the girl working in the department after bragging to me how experienced she was with corn snakes informed me that since the little guy had started shedding only 2 days ago he still had a few more days to go to till he finished his 'shedding' cycle.

I held the little snake and the poor thing was really upset and wouldnt let me touch his tail. he was a rattler!

its not the first time I have said something about shedding problems to people at petstores.

***that being said I am really glad you were able to get the skin off your snakes tail! :D hopefully he will calm down for you really soon! good luck

Ask for a wet paper towel and do it yourself. That's what I did. :rolleyes:. I just couldn't leave the pore guy like that!

Hello,
I have a recently purchased striped, just a little shy of 2'. He has this exact issue on about the last 3 scales from the tip. Looks to be no more than 2 layers at most. I do of course plan to take immediate action but I was wondering what were anyone's thoughts as far as using an antibiotic ointment instead of water to try to loosen the unshed skin? For instance, putting a thin layer on, leaving it overnight and working it a bit tomorrow and so on? Could this possibly minimize the discomfort of "working" the skin as much? I should mention I am quite new at keeping colubrids (but am deeply fascinated already) but I'm open minded to sound advice. Worse for worse, I'll be soaking the little guy in plain old water and do my best to fix the problem manually.

Thanks and take care. :wavey:

Gary

Ok well, no replies on that idea. I won't take a chance then. I'll go with the soaking in water method. *fingers crossed*

Gary

I never tried it (ointment) before, so can't really comment on how it works. I don't see what it would hurt though. You could always try it overnight, and if it doesn't work, then use the old dampening method.

Let us know if it works, should you decide to try it.

kathylove said:
I never tried it (ointment) before, so can't really comment on how it works. I don't see what it would hurt though. You could always try it overnight, and if it doesn't work, then use the old dampening method.

Let us know if it works, should you decide to try it.

Thanks for the reply. :) I will certainly post an update. Mainly, I was wondering is there were any strong reasons against the idea that I may not be aware of (being a new keeper). Didn't want to chance it with zero feedback.

Thanks again and wish luck to the striped. ;)

Gary

Well, not the timeliest update, I know but the bacitricin didn't work any miracles for me. I would up having to do the "working" thing regardless. As for if it was any easier, I don't know since I've never had to do this before. Oh well. Least my stripey is healthy and happy.

Take care.

Gary

*"wound up", not "would up". sorry. Is there not an edit option for posts? I'll have to be more carefull before hitting submit.

G

Back