• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating prey?

Plissken

Crazy Snail Lady
Hi everyone,

I've been hearing that mice should be heated before offering to a snake.

Is this neccessary and if so, what's the best way to heat the mouse? What sort of temp should it be heated to?

If they're frozen, I run the tap until it's a bit too hot for me to comfortably leave my hand in, and fill a 16oz plastic cup with it and toss the mouse in. For pinks and fuzzies, I leave them in for five minutes, then change the water, and leave them in for another five. For hoppers and up, I change the water out one more time. A mouse's body temp is a little higher than a human's, so if the mouse feels a little warm to you, all is good. :)

i leave mine to deforst on top of the viv, becuase i have a lamp in mine so it defrosts the mouse, and it warms it up to a good enouth tempreture, snakes are like people they dont want cold or frozen food!!!

It really depends on the snake. I have some that don't seem to mind soggy, room temperature mice. Others want theirs dry and warm. I use basically the same method Dean uses, except for the ones who won't eat damp mice, I put them into a ziploc bag. It takes longer to thaw this way, so be sure and check them. For my ball pythons, who are more particular than my corns, I heat the mice/rats with a blow dryer for a few minutes to make sure they are warm and dry.

hey I find that most of my corns will eat "soggy, room temperature mice" lol
but my ball definatly needs heated 'moving' food! in that case I usually defrost and then run the mouse in a ziplock bag under hot water in the sink for a few minutes!

Back