PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Frequency

Feeding Frequency

King21
03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
My corn snake is big enough to be eating fuzzies. I think feeding is so cool to watch but I want to see it more often. My question is...instead of feeding my corn one fuzzy every 5 days, could I feed my corn one pinkie every 3 days? Would this be okay to do?

Penman6668
03-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I think you should stick to the fuzzies. Somebody more senior please correct me if I am wrong.

Bobo's Mama
03-28-2006, 08:27 PM
You really shouldn't go backwards and start feeding him pinkies again. Pinkies don't have much to them. Fuzzies on the other hand are full of fat and protein, and will really help your little guy grow bigger and stronger.

Lennycorn
03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Yep, I agree too.
But If you want to see it more often...you're just going to have to get more snakes. :sidestep:

Roy Munson
03-28-2006, 08:44 PM
My corn snake is big enough to be eating fuzzies. I think feeding is so cool to watch but I want to see it more often. My question is...instead of feeding my corn one fuzzy every 5 days, could I feed my corn one pinkie every 3 days? Would this be okay to do?
You've been given good advice. The novelty of watching him eat will soon wear off anyway, so you might as well pace it. ;)

Roy Munson
03-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Yep, I agree too.
But If you want to see it more often...you're just going to have to get more snakes. :sidestep:

Yeah, I get to see it 5-15 times per day. Yippee. :awcrap:

Penman6668
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I get to see it 5-15 times per day. Yippee. :awcrap:
How many snakes do you have?

Lennycorn
03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Three.. :grin01:

dawnrenee2000
03-29-2006, 11:23 AM
ALSO..If you feed your snake every 3 days you will never be able to handle him because he will always be trying to digest. I understand wanting to watch him do cool things like eating , but would not reccomendend you cut back to frequent pinky feedings. It is certainly not in the best thoughts for the snake.

Roy Munson
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
How many snakes do you have?

Thirty-seven. Two more coming next week, and I have a few yet-to-be-hatched '06s on reserve.

Penman6668
03-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Thirty-seven. Two more coming next week, and I have a few yet-to-be-hatched '06s on reserve.
37 WOW I was thinking about a second one but did not know where to put him/her. I think it is time for me to build the reptile room in the basement.
37 snakes, my wife would never enter the house again. :grin01:

dawnrenee2000
03-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I think they just multiply on their own in houses where they are truly adored..I started off with One wild caught and now I have 25 wtih 6 on the way! So that just goes to show you that Women can get hooked on them too..haha

Dawn

MegF.
03-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Yup! They are addictive. I started with one, and I'm up to 6 corns, with one of those getting ready to lay, 2 green tree pythons and hopefully more of those in the future. I'm also looking to start a breeding program with snail eating snakes. Still trying to secure a pair though. They're harder to get than a taxi on a rainy night!

Tyger9791
03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
yeah if you feed them too often, you'll never be able to handle them. and thats far more fun than watching them eat.

i started with one snake. a garter snake i rescued in my backyard from a feral cat...then i got a corn snake, Blaze...then it just snowballed from there. i couldnt have 37 snakes. i'd be single and broke.

Roy Munson
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
i couldnt have 37 snakes. i'd be single and broke.That pretty well sums up my situation. :grin01:

SnakeAround
03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
That pretty well sums up my situation. :grin01:

Aw... if I'd been single too... we could have a big house of snakes together! :crazy02: :grin01:

BeckyG
03-29-2006, 05:38 PM
My 12 year old son is already worrying about how he will find a snake-loving wife.

As for me (single and broke as well), I'm wondering where I could possibly fit another tank...Got too many left on my wish list.

jenkva
03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
My corn snake is big enough to be eating fuzzies. I think feeding is so cool to watch but I want to see it more often. My question is...instead of feeding my corn one fuzzy every 5 days, could I feed my corn one pinkie every 3 days? Would this be okay to do?I also think it is great to see them eat but you need to think about what your snake needs and put your "wants" second to your snake's health (does that sentence make sense?? :shrugs: ).

What I have done to be able to see it as often as I want is that I have made a little film of her eating so that I can watch it whenever I want to without disturbing her normal/natural feeding pattern.... food for thoughts ;)

Another solution could be to do a search on the internet for "video+snake+feeding"!?
You can find some on:
http://www.reptilekeeper.co.uk/video/eating.mpg
http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/reptiles/Coronella_austriaca/Coronella_austriaca_08.html?movietype=rpMed (this is not a corn but it might fulfill you)

If you also want a snake shed, you can see a short/accelerated shedding action on:
http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/reptiles/Coronella_austriaca/Coronella_austriaca_03a.html?movietype=rpMed
(this is also not a corn but...)

Enjoy!

SnakeAround
03-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Off topic; Jenka, you like Rammstein I think?

desertanimal
03-29-2006, 07:17 PM
My 12 year old son is already worrying about how he will find a snake-loving wife.

Wow. That kid really plans ahead!

jenkva
03-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Off topic; Jenka, you like Rammstein I think?Natuurlijk! yup yup yup, we talked about it on one of your thread ;)