PDA

View Full Version : breeding weight of the female

breeding weight of the female

www.snakes.nl
10-08-2002, 12:11 PM
breeding weight of the female, what sould it be ?
in grams

hoping for some respons,

with regard marco

drizzt_19
10-08-2002, 06:06 PM
the minumum for breeding female corns is at least three years old, and 300 grams. any less or younger you run the chance of the female becoming eggbound or dying from delivery or serious lifetime harm. hope this helps.

drizzt

Darin Chappell
10-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Maybe you should say something like the "the minimum requirements, in my opinion are . . ." The one thing about breeding sizes of corns is that there are LOTS of different opinions on the subject.

I know that many, many breeders have no difficulty breeding two year old corns if they have sufficient size to them by that age. I, myself, have some corns that will be two next year. They're over 30" and are in good weight. Assuming they continue to do well through the winter, I'll probably breed them.

I have always had this practice, and after a few years of success, I can honestly say that I've never had an eggbound female of any age. However, I've heard of more eggbinding occuring in older females that are being bred for the first time than in young females breeding for the first time. Is this a hard and fast rule? Nope, but I think the "too young until 3 years/300 grams" reply is tossed about by a lot of people as if it's a hard and fast rule, and it's not either.

drizzt_19
10-11-2002, 01:20 PM
thank you for correcting me on this one darin. i guess i should of said that it was imho. thanks again.

drizzt