PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Cornsnake

Rattling Cornsnake

Brad Jr.
10-08-2002, 08:33 PM
I have a baby corn and for some reason is makes a rattling noise. When we go to get her out of her cage she'll cock back as if she is going to strike and if that doesn't work she'll shake her tail quickly back and forth for a few seconds. It's really weird though because when she does this it makes a vibrating sound when she touches something. I was wondering if anybody has ever noticed this before in their corns or heard of it. I know certain snakes imitate rattle snakes by doing the exact same thing. She is obviously using this as a defense but it still seems strange. Not only does her tail vibrate but when she is in her defense mode she emits a strange scent that doesn't smell like urine.

Brad

pinatamonkey
10-09-2002, 01:46 AM
The rattling is completely normal. She should pretty much grow out of it with time...but some of mine still occasionally rattle. The smell might be musk? My ghost used to do that when I got him.

Neil
10-09-2002, 03:05 AM
Don't worry about the rattling. Your snake will probably calm down when it gets to know that you're not a threat.

Ken Harbart
10-17-2002, 02:11 AM
Tail rattling is an interesting behavior common to many snakes. Rattlesnakes, of course, have evolved a few steps further, and make more efficient use of the behavior.

Kevin M
10-17-2002, 05:26 PM
The older your corn gets the less frequently it will rattle its tail. I know on Sundays when I feed my hatchlings it gets quite musical in my room. hehe

punkbetty666
10-28-2002, 05:39 PM
don't worry I have a 9 year old corn and he still rattles

whiffin
10-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Dammit - I wish Suzy wasn't so tame, then he might rattle :D