PDA

View Full Version : Wood hide has bugs! mites??

Wood hide has bugs! mites??

Tyger9791
04-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I bought this half log wood hide at a pet store. i havent used it much, only for the snakes when they were really small. I put it in with my anery because he messed up his papertowel roll and he's really small. i couldnt think of anything else to use as a hide at the moment.
I went to feed Guinness this morning and i see these tiny little bugs running around on his papertowel. if it werent for the papertowel i probably wouldnt have even seen them. they were really light brown almost transparent and smaller than fleas. i immediately picked up Guinness and looked him over. nothing on him. i put him in another clean sterilite tub and took out everything from the other tub to clean it. i picked up the half log and inside were all of these little bugs. i could only see them when they moved. they were the same color as the wood. i'm not sure what they are. i threw away the wood log and i sprayed the tub and everything with a disinfectant and cleaner. i didnt see any more bugs. but i'm worried about Guinness. were these mites? how can i tell?

BTW, now he has a new hide...my gf gave me an empty tylenol box.

Slippery Ernie
04-03-2006, 10:55 AM
They might have been mites of some kind. Probably not the kind that you need to worry about. Sounds like they were more interested in the wood than your snake. Don't worry yet. You disinfected everything so just wait and see if they come back.

Sounds like you did everything right. Make sure to disinfect new wood decorations (cooking, or bleach solution). Keep using the paper towels.

Tyger9791
04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks! i just flipped out when i saw the bugs. the last thing i need is mites. i'm wondering if they were actually in the wood log and just hatched or something.
now i know that even pet store wood decor needs to be disinfected.

saraelf69
04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
i bought a wood log also and i noticed these really small bugs. when i squeeze them nothing comes out but they are a gray color. i see them around felix and in her scales. i treated her for mites but they are still on her. she is eating fine, not in her water bowl and i havent seen her shed since i bought her a month ago. also in the log i see small orange circles.. maybe eggs im not sure. is it mites?