PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for leftovers

Thank goodness for leftovers

dionythicus
04-04-2006, 11:16 PM
It's a good thing I have a half full bottle of antibiotics left over from my BP's RI a month or so ago because now my male hypo baird's is showing classic signs of an RI. So up go the temps and I'm using the antibiotics. At least the BP was small enough to wiggle around but wasn't too big to hold onto. The baird's is 4 1/2 feet of unhappy, burnt-rubber musk spewing, wriggling and tight coiling snake who does NOT like having antibiotics squirted into his nose. Twice a day. For at least a week. Ah, the joy of snakes....

MegF.
04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Why do you have a half full bottle of antibiotics? Antibiotics should be taken until they are gone, or you can create bacteria that's resistant to them. A big no-no!!! Sorry to hear about your other snake getting sick too. Hopefully the treatment will help.

dionythicus
04-05-2006, 01:35 PM
The bottle the vet gave me was enough that it cleared up the RI for my BP with some left over. His RI cleared up very quickly because I caught it early. The vet had me treat him for two weeks with a couple drops in each nostril twice a day. I didn't want to throw away what was left, there was plenty.

And it isn't that easy to create resistant bacteria. We're not talking about MRSA, which we see more and more in humans.

SnakeAround
04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I had to put the fluid with antiobo for the RI in my yellow rats throat! That's not easy too but once you have a good grip and the syringe is brought in, they cannot wriggle anymore with a stiff syringe in their throat. That's what I experienced with my yellow rat at least...

SnakeAround
04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh, and good luck with the bairdi getting better!

Muggle
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
When my BP had a RI the vet gave him shots. She said I would have to force feed meds if the shots didn't work but thankfully Zabini got better! Zabini's 4 feet long btw. Have you asked your vet about this new snake? It could be since it's bigger the dossage needs to be different :shrugs: . Hope your snake gets over the RI quickly!

Laura

dionythicus
04-11-2006, 03:24 PM
After looking around on here, what I assumed were "classic" sign of an RI are not at all what he's showing. I only treated him with one dose of antibiotics and upped his temps, but then I started observing him more. I was seeing him breathing a little heavier than my corns and he makes clicking sounds sometimes. What I'm NOt seeing is wheezing, discharge or open mouth breathing. But as I have been watching him, I realised that his mouth and nose are full of substrate because he's always tunneling and his heavier breathing is a reflection of nasal blockage, not an RI. I forgot that he did that, since he's not a pet and more of an investment, I don't take him out much. RI's just make me so jumpy, but I feel confident he is A-Ok.