PDA

View Full Version : Who knows???????????

Who knows???????????

dartguy
10-11-2002, 01:02 AM
what would be the best type of corn to use as a breeder to tell what other corns might be het for? Is it possible to get something thats completely recessive thats het for nothing??? Just wondering cause I have some babies that are interesting and I wonder if theyre het for something..........I'm a corn snake genetics moron so it would be cool to have one that could take away all guessing

Thx
:cool:

carol
10-11-2002, 01:26 AM
Your best bet is to get a few corns that are homo and het for as many things as possible. Next year I will produce some hypo snow stripe motleys which will be fun for "het testing" but even this is becoming "out dated" and I would like to try adding Lav and Caramel into the mix as well. I expect this to take years and be pretty painful, but fun too. The most difficult part would be telling who was lavendar and caramel because the anery would mask it. And we would still be leaving out Anery B, bloodred, and I am sure there are others I am too tired to think off right now. It would be a monumental task to attempt, not to mention but the time you get it accomplished (if you ever do) some more genes are bond to pop up and you are once again out dated.

All that been said, just get a varied collection and have fun, it is a lot easier on your brain. :D

Serpwidgets
10-11-2002, 03:59 AM
IMO your best bet is to pair them with 1-what seems likely, or 2-something that you want to produce.

That is, amel, anery, and hypo are probably the most common traits floating around, so getting a ghost het amel or a hypo snow or something along those lines would probably have the best chances of producing morphed offspring. Obviously the more traits you throw into the mix, the better your chances are.

But if you have specific morphs in mind which you'd like to produce, you might as well breed them to something of that morph. If they're het, you'll produce more of that morph right away. If not, you'll at least know the offspring are in fact het for it and you can continue on with the keepers from that clutch back to the morphed parent and actually produce whatever it is that you're really interested in. :)

Rachel
10-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Not meaning to be pedantic dartguy, but if something is completely recessive then it wont be het for anything. When something is het it means that it has different alleles of a given gene (like Aa), if it is completely recessive then it would be aa. Hope that helps a bit! ;)

gekko1
10-11-2002, 06:20 PM
i believe i'm in the same situation your in kinda. it took me awhile to learn this genetics stuff but here goes. there are many types of hets out there, the most common being amel and anery. this means breeding your snake with a snow makes sense. but i also recommend breeding with a blizzard. south mountain reptiles sells corns het for anything you'd like. i've searched.