PDA

View Full Version : Do your corns run from you?

Do your corns run from you?

Turtlez
10-11-2002, 02:34 PM
First, I just want to say thanks for all of the WONDERFUL advice that I have gotten from this forum.. You guys really are the best!

Secondly, when I go to get little Mythos from his Viv, I will lift up the hide he is under, put it aside, and then rest my hand next to him. He still is a little scared, but not by my hand, just from me exposing his hide :) I try to pet him a little, and then go to pick him up. But he runs all over the cage like a mad man trying to get away. My concern is, that when I try to pick him up he starts to curl around his hides and plants so I cant lift him out. I dont want to hurt him by pulling him away, but I dont know how else to go about picking him up. Should I let him run away until he lets me pick him up? I dont want him to associate me with stress.

Once he is out, he is relaxed and content to slither around me, and doesnt run from me like he used to when I had him on my lap before.

If there are any better suggestions on how to pick him up properly from his Viv, let me know

-Meg

noe
10-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Not everyone will agree with me, but personally I try to leave my snake alone when he's in one of his hides. I want him to feel secure there. When I want to hold him I wait for him to come out on his own (usually in the evenings) and he tends to be more receptive to being handled that way.

However, regardless of what you do, frequent gentle handling is the best thing. Hatchlings are jumpier and Mythos should eventually settle down and get used to being taken out. If it's possible to get him out I would do so; if you let him be when he squirms he might associate it with "getting free" of you and do it on purpose.

whiffin
10-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Suzy used to be like this. Out in the open, I try and pick him up, he hides ...

but now after a bit of handling he doesn't seem to mind and will elt me pick him up

So just bear in there!

Nagah11979
10-12-2002, 02:28 PM
From what i hear its probably normal, hes probably just scared because he is small.
I have the same problem, though, whenever i try to pick my hatchling up, even though he is out, he runs from me. But he settles once i actually take him out of the viv and start handling him.
I've had him for 3 weeks but mine is also in the process of shedding so he has been extra nervous the last couple of days.

kellyjones
10-12-2002, 04:34 PM
I agree with the others. Normally you can say that the younger the snake the less likely he/she will be to enjoy being handled. Age leads to confidence

BU5T4
10-15-2002, 01:27 PM
hay kelly i like your signature , i said that exact thing last night and got home at 7am thismorning hehehe

anyways Turtlez dont worry about your snake acting like that he is just nervous and IMO he will get over it with time and lots of handelling, my garter does the same but once he is in my hands he just loves to sit there and coil himself round my fingers.

dont worry :-)

BU5T4

Lyle
10-29-2002, 04:12 AM
My corn, Ciccilia actualy comes to me when I call it, when it's out, I open the tank, and it crawls up the branch and onto me, she is 4 and a half months old and is 20" long, we all love her.

lian
10-30-2002, 08:51 PM
my snake used to dothe same thing bt now he just sits still till i pick him up then he moves around my fingers i would say just handle him a little more i handled mine 3 times a week and when i handeled him more {every day five min besides feeding] he will just sit there