PDA

View Full Version : new corn owner with a ?

new corn owner with a ?

mike101703
04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I just bought a corn snake on sunday, the 9th. It is about 5-6 months old. I know at this time especially, that you want to keep the tank warm so he gets into regular eating patterns and sheds properly. I have the undertank heater under one side of the tank, and a normal 100w heating light about in the middle of the cage so he has differnt temp zones. I was told by people at the pet store to turn the light off at night and leave the pad on all the time, keeping the hottest part at about 80-85 and the coolest 70-75. Well this morning the thermometer said the tank was cooler than 69 because it wasnt even regerstering. (by the way the themro, was kindo of inbetween hot and cool areas and about 5-7 inches from the bottom of the tank) is that too cold at night? should i leave the light on at night? or should i get an infrared emitter to keep it warm, but have a normal day/night cycle. Sorry its so long, i just want a happy healthy snake. thanx
mike

ghosthousecorns
04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
You should take the temp directly at the warmest part of the tank (usually the glass above the heating pad) and that should be no more than 85, it's better for the cool side to stay at around 75, but I have found that my snakes will find the warm spot when they need it so I usually don't worry if my cool side is a bit cooler than it should be. The thermometers that stick to the side of the glass just measure the air temperature so I don't think they are the most reliable way to monitor the temps, after all the snake will be at the bottom where the 'hot spot' is and you don't want it to get burned, hope that helps

mike101703
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
what kind of thermo should i get that is more reliable. So even if the thermo reads below 69 he should still be ok if hes on the pad and hiding somewhere?

Muggle
04-10-2006, 11:38 PM
what kind of thermo should i get that is more reliable. So even if the thermo reads below 69 he should still be ok if hes on the pad and hiding somewhere?

I use a digital indoor/outdoor thermomiter with a probe. I got mine at wal-mart ($7-$12ish) but I've seen them at the pet store for twice the cost. While your at it get the one that tells you the humidity because that's important info too! You may not need the heat lamp idk. On my bp I have a UTH and heat lamps but not for my corns. Is your analog thermomiter stuck on the back or can you move it? If you can move it you might lay it right on the floor for a while and see what it reads. It's surface timp you want to be around 85 not air timp. Hope this helps! :D

MegF.
04-11-2006, 09:25 AM
I used to supplement with a heat lamp (although never a 100 watt-that's pretty high) but now I've found they do fine even if the temps drop a bit overnight. They seem to like the cooler temps. So now, I just use the uth and that's it unless I'm warming them up after brumation and I don't want any cooling going on.

cornsnakemaster28
04-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I'd say it says it's lower than 69% because it doesn't get the heating pad. Your snake may be on the heating pad all nice and warm. It's just that the thermometer doesn't read the heating pad. The heating pad doesn't warm the air, it just warms that area. I know this is confusing, it is to me also. It's fine keep going with that light schedule

Your snake is nice and cozzy at night.

cornsnakefan999
04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I have the same problem. althouhg in the middle of my tank (beetween the hot and cool) it got down to 63 last night. is this to cold for him? i do find it weird that he was on the oposite side from the heating pad?