PDA

View Full Version : !need Help!

!need Help!

ChrisR:)
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
when i touched the heat pad it was too hot for my hand i quickly moved my corn to the other side. is there anyway i can cool down or prevent the heat until tommorow until i can get a thermostat?
please advice needed! :eek1:

Jay@herb.com
04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Well heat pads are suppose to be hot to the touch of the hand, you are suppose to lay some repti-carpet on top of the glass first so that yur corn doesn't burrow down and lay rite on the hot glass. how big is yur viv? and how big is the heat pad?

04-11-2006, 08:26 PM
the cage is 10 gal and the heat pad is size mini it covers about one third of the cage i put some newspaper on top of the pad to slow heat a bit

04-11-2006, 08:27 PM
o and wut is the difference between a rheostat and a thermostat

Jay@herb.com
04-11-2006, 08:28 PM
That heat pad should be fine for a 10gal. viv, newspaper will be good for rite now, if u can't get repti-carpet you could use the material on the back of a couch, an old couch of course

moonshadow
04-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Honestly, I would turn off the heat pad for now. A night or two at room temperature won't hurt your snake, but an unregulated heating pad can definately cause burns, even with newspaper. A rheostat is sort of like a lamp dimmer. It regulates how hot the pad will get but can't adjust itself as room temperature fluctuates etc. If you want it warmer you turn it up, and if you want it cooler you turn it down. A thermostat allows you to set the temperature you want and it regulates the heat pad accordingly.

BeckyG
04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I agree. Just turn it off for a few nights. Just don't feed until you get the temp set correctly.

Yes, heat pads are supposed to be warm, but not that hot. If it feels warm to you, it will be too hot for your snake. Don't try to guess at the temps. Go to a hardware store or Wal-mart or somthing and get a digital thermometer with a probe and a plug in lamp dimmer as soon as possible.

And don't bother with reptile carpet or anything like that. It is difficult to keep clean, provides an excellent breeding ground for bacteria, and the snake will likely get under it anyway.

Tula_Montage
04-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Well heat pads are suppose to be hot to the touch of the hand, you are suppose to lay some repti-carpet on top of the glass first so that yur corn doesn't burrow down and lay rite on the hot glass. how big is yur viv? and how big is the heat pad?

repticarpet isnt necessary if you have a thermostat. i dont use it... and wouldnt because its majorly hard to clean and easily houses lots of bacteria