PDA

View Full Version : odd "arching" behavior

odd "arching" behavior

kategustavsen
10-12-2002, 05:12 PM
My snake has started doing something odd... He arches his head up and sits with his anterior 8 inches or so sticking straight up in the air. At first I thought he was hungry and scenting for prey but he doesn't flick his tongue.

I tried to attach a picture, if it doesn't work then try here (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~kate/arching.html).

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~kate/arching.jpg

It may look in the picture like he's leaning against the glass, but he's not, he's standing up completely unsupported. He'll sit like this for fairly long periods of time. Any ideas what he's doing?

pipatic
10-13-2002, 03:53 AM
it could be that the beddin is too dusty ????

Simon
10-13-2002, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't really worry too much....it's not too much of a thing....maybe it's just it's personality....wanting to see the sky..or something like that.....

I would say as long as it's eating, drinking, pooping, and shedding properly then there is basically nothing to worry about.

Don't worry.....I am quite sure that arching thins isn't star-gazing a symptom that some snakes have.....cause star-gazing is like twisting it's head up and down and flying it's head all over the place......not just arching...so don't worry about that...

Susan
10-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Looks like he's checking for a way out to me. My snakes do that alot.

pinatamonkey
10-14-2002, 12:57 AM
I see my snakes doing this a lot too...I call it their 'periscope' :D
Especially since they like to pull back into their hides when they see somebody coming

Rachel
10-14-2002, 03:44 AM
Yup, my female does that all the time. I havent seen the male do it but he's a bit more timid. She looks really funny because one time she did it out of her plant. She was up on one of the top leaves and leant out as if to look for a way out then broke the leaf and came tumbling down. She wasnt hurt or anything but it was really funny to watch! :p