PDA

View Full Version : I Hate F/t

I Hate F/t

cornsnakemaster28
04-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok is this possible. Every time I tryed to feed my little girl a f/t one it always regurgitats it. Can it be possible that S he just doesn't like them and her body will always refuse them? It has always happens. I usually feed her live ones just when I do feed her f/t she regurgitats them.

Will this always happen??

Tula_Montage
04-12-2006, 06:23 PM
do you know if she was raised on mice of lizzards, if the previous owner fed her lizzards you may have a fussy eater on your hands, try senting the mice with lizzard spray, you can buy it at most pet stores, either thast or try cutting the head off and feeding her that. make ysure you dont try to feed her for at least 8 days after she has regurged, also make sure you dont handle her for at least 48 hours after feeding, 4 days after regurge...

kimbyra
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Is your supply good?

kimbyra
04-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Also, do you thaw properly, and wait till it cools off some if its warm?

Lennycorn
04-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Also, do you thaw properly, and wait till it cools off some if its warm?

Good question Kim,
So what is it Master28???

cornsnakemaster28
04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes I always do. I always kinda give a light squeeze on the pinky after about 5 min.

To answer the other question I bout her like 1 month old and she ate live ones. That's what the store told me and I see them feed there snakes. I guess she just doesn't like them?? I'll just play it safe and just feed her on live ones

to see the little fuzzys die alive while she squeezes them :devil01: :devil01: :devil01:

fuzzy duffy
:uzi: :madeuce: :madeuce:
:madeuce:
:madeuce:

Sorry about that i got a little carryed away

Wilder
04-12-2006, 07:02 PM
My question is, how long have you been waiting after each regurge to feed again?

Tula_Montage
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
My question is, how long have you been waiting after each regurge to feed again?

my question exactly...

cornsnakemaster28
04-12-2006, 07:07 PM
8 days

I always make sure.

my dad wants to feed her earlyer I just count down the days till she can

Tula_Montage
04-12-2006, 07:09 PM
have you tried cutting off the head and just feeding your snake that?

Taceas
04-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Well..

I used one brand new bag of f/t pinks once. I normally feed my own raised pinks live, as its easier for me, but I ran out and the kiddos needed to eat. So about 18 hatchlings got f/t pinks. 2 days later I had 16 regurges.

Let me tell you, the stench walking in the snake room almost keeled me over. I threw out what was left of that bag and opened another from the same order, not a problem since.

So I would say to look at getting a new batch of f/t (its always nice to have a back-up in case of emergencies anyway) and maybe get a fecal sample to your vet to see if maybe something's going on.

One thing that does help with frequent regurges is to wait 10 days, minimum.

Try slitting the skin of the f/t pinks. It really helps them to digest it faster as the stomach acids/enzymes can get inside the body cavity better. If you think about it, fresh food has a little longer before it spoils after death. Already dead and frozen/thawed things start to turn rancid in a few hours after being thawed. At least from my own observations when leaving pinks with snakes overnight.

So maybe by not allowing him/her enough time to rebuild up the gastric juices to optimum levels leaves the snake with a meal that's going bad faster than it can digest it, ergo a regurge.

You may also try dosing a live pink with Nutribac (available online) or there's even kitten/puppy probiotics that you can buy at Petsmart which have worked for me. That helps to repopulate the gut with beneficial bacteria.

:-offtopic
Just so you know, taking delight in another animals' suffering is really quite immature and sick. Even if it is only a mouse.

AND you really need to learn the difference between: there, they're, and their. They're all different words with totally different meanings.

Roy Munson
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Whatever you're feeding it, an eight-day schedule is way too infrequent for a growing snakeling on pinks or fuzzies. As Taceas said, get rid of the f/t you're using. Buy nice, new f/t, and feed that thing every every five days. I feed more frequently than that when they're on pinks and fuzzies, but since she's had a rocky start, a five-day schedule is cool. Good luck.

Penman6668
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
:-offtopic
Just so you know, taking delight in another animals' suffering is really quite immature and sick. Even if it is only a mouse.

I agree 100 percent. No animal should suffer.

cornsnakemaster28
04-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Ok I'd like to start out with I was really tired and out. I was upset that she doesn't like f/t pinks. I had to think of something that was good (obviously I thought of something dumb) well sorry for that I won't feed her for 10 days now.

Thanks !

cornsnakemaster28
04-13-2006, 09:42 AM
O forgot to add sorry about the there things

once again it was an off night I was just so excited about leaving for Washington D.C Today??

Ok well thanks again

kimbyra
04-13-2006, 10:01 AM
for ten days?! Try every four to five, she's a baby. When I had a regurge problem baby, thats what I did. It took 2 1/2 weeks, but now he's fine on f/t.

Wilder
04-13-2006, 10:16 AM
for ten days?! Try every four to five, she's a baby. When I had a regurge problem baby, thats what I did. It took 2 1/2 weeks, but now he's fine on f/t.

After a regurge, it is best to wait 10 days before trying to feed again to allow the stomach to heal. Otherwise, you will most likely get another regurge if you just feed a few days later.

Also, cornsnake, when you do feed again offer a mouse smaller than she usually eats and slit the skin. This will help with digestion. Obviously, do this only on a f/t mouse. No slitting the skin of living creatures, please. ;) When she can keep down a couple of smaller meals, you can then increase size. Every five days is good for a hatchling once she's back to eating fine. Good luck!

kimbyra
04-13-2006, 10:28 AM
oops, my bad. I thought Kathy Love said every eight days though.

BeckyG
04-13-2006, 04:54 PM
She says 8-10 days in her book.

I agree with Misty. I think you probably got a bad batch of pinkies. Feed live until you can get some new ones, but don't give up on f/t altogether.

Jimmy Johnson
04-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Yes I always do. I always kinda give a light squeeze on the pinky after about 5 min.

I think this is the problem.
I don't think the pinkies are thawed thoroughly.
How are you thawing them?
Are you only giving them 5 minutes to thaw?
If you are just sitting them out for five minutes that won't do it.
Run tap water on hot for several minutes then fill a small dish or bowl with hot water.
drop the pinkie in and give it 10 minutes or more to thaw. This way you know it will thaw thoroughly.
Give your snake a full 10 days from the last regurge and try this.

Pumilio
04-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I think this is the problem.
I don't think the pinkies are thawed thoroughly.
How are you thawing them?
Are you only giving them 5 minutes to thaw?
If you are just sitting them out for five minutes that won't do it.
Run tap water on hot for several minutes then fill a small dish or bowl with hot water.
drop the pinkie in and give it 10 minutes or more to thaw. This way you know it will thaw thoroughly.
Give your snake a full 10 days from the last regurge and try this.

I agree too. I probably go a little overkill, I fill a plastic cup with really hot water, leave the fuzzy in for 5, change the water, five minutes, and then once more for good measure. I increased it when I moved up a food size, and when I had pinkies I just left it in for 10 minutes. Good luck!

MegF.
04-14-2006, 12:05 AM
You can dust the f/t pinkie with nutribac as well. You might also try some Grapefruit seed extract in the water. It's available at most health food stores and you use 2-3 drops/ 8 oz. of water. Make sure your tap water is safe for reptiles. My county now uses chloramines to purify and it's deadly to snakes. So, I either thaw in a plastic bag in hot tap water, or heat up purified water in the microwave and thaw directly in that. I have one snake that won't eat the mouse unless it's been thawed directly in very hot water. She wouldn't touch the one that had only been lukewarm thawed in the plastic bag. Heated it briefly in hot water and wham! gone! It could be you aren't thawing and warming the f/t mouse enough and that's causing the regurge. Live mice have an internal body temp of 100-101 Farenheit. Barely warm food doesn't do it for some critters.