PDA

View Full Version : 7 mo old hasn't eaten for 5 wks..

7 mo old hasn't eaten for 5 wks..

tclegacy
04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I bought a red albino motley corn together, about 6 wks ago. She's now around 7 months old. We keep her at my friend's house; the corn has a normal setup... 10 gallon tank with an UTH/thermostat, warm hide, cool hide, climbing pieces, large water dish, aspen bedding. After we bought her we gave her a full week to settle in and then offered her a pinky (in a deli cup with a paper towel) which she ate without much hesitation. However...she hasn't eaten since then...this Friday makes it exactly 5 wks. She did shed maybe 2 wks back...so maybe she's one of those who doesn't like to eat during a shed.

We've tried braining, cutting in half, leaving her with the pinky overnight... At first I was offering her a chance to feed frequently but then I read it's best to just wait until the next normal feeding date. So I tried feeding her last wk and then my friend tried again this past Wed or so (left her in the cup with the pinky overnight) but she doesn't seem interested. What are some other tips for inducing them to eat? Note that my friend has 2 hamsters in the room also...secure lid on snake cage though :) I wasn't sure if that might have an effect in some way..? We're both new to snakes. :)

Thanks,

tclegacy

Susan
04-13-2006, 10:39 PM
If possible, I would recommend trying a live pinky next. Also, if all your pinkies came from the same source, trying another source is worth a try as sometimes they just don't like the taste/smell of a particular group. What are the temps on the warm and cold side of the tank - just in case that is a factor? Also, you could try a pinky that is on the really small side for your snake. Sometimes, when I try moving a hatchling up in food size, they take the 1st one and then don';t want any more...maybe they got a tummy ache or something. Giving a much smaller prey item will often work. Good luck and keep us posted.

MegF.
04-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Maybe you could try rat pinky or scenting with lizard maker, or anole.

cornsnakefan999
04-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I've heard that using your fingers, or something to hold the mouse and dangling it in front of your snake. I have also heard that putting a few drops of chicken broth on the mouses heard, or even heating the mouse up (they sense heat).

Lennycorn
04-14-2006, 10:56 AM
May I add to the above, try to feed at night, in a dim room. Some snake are shy eaters and don't like a crowd watching them eat.

Wachee
04-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I use a pair of tongs and dangle the mouse in front of the snake and make him do a little dance, some times I sing the snake dinner time song it goes like this "I am a little mouse, I hope that I don't run into a snake, laateedaa" seriously I dangle it right in front of the snake and move it a bit sometimes I tap dance it across the paper that I have lining the feeding bin. My king especially likes this cuz she likes to sneak up on it, pretty cute. As long as your snake still has a good body weight I wouldn't stress to much. Make sure that she has plenty of clean water and she will eat when she is ready. It doesn't happen ofter with my corns but my king will go weeks without eating and keep a good weight on.

Michelle

xavusangel
04-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Have you tried scenting with Tuna? My snake was being stubburn and not eating until i scented it with Tuna and she ate it up...yum

tclegacy
04-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions! My corn ate this afternoon! So glad!! I did the heating in the microwave technique and she went right for it. Guess she likes her pinks warmed up lol...

Thanks again!

tclegacy

BeckyG
04-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions! My corn ate this afternoon! So glad!! I did the heating in the microwave technique and she went right for it. Guess she likes her pinks warmed up lol...

Thanks again!

tclegacy

Glad she ate for you. Uh, did you heat the pinky in the microwave, or just the water? I wouldn't recommend heating the pinky in the microwave. I hear tell they explode. :-puke01:

MegF.
04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing! I tried microwaving a mouse one time. Glad I covered it well, cuz they do explode....and after only a second or two!

neotekz
04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
if by some chance the mouse doesn;t explode in the microwave wouldn't it cook the mouse?

SnakeAround
04-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Ew, cooked mice stink awefully!

Please watch out for the mouse being too hot inside; testines might get hotter then the surface of the mouse feels.

tclegacy
04-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi,

I put a cut in the pinkie before I put it in the microwave so it didn't explode on me... You know, like piercing a potato. :) It was only slightly warmed when I gave it to her so I think it was okay, but l'll remember about not heating it too much (so the inner parts aren't too hot).

tclegacy

Wachee
04-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I got a toaster oven that I use just for heating up mice. It works well. Before that I used a heat lamp. Microwaves tend to cook from the inside out or blow things up. Pinkies you can just put in a cup of hot water and they will be good to go.

jenkva
04-23-2006, 09:54 AM
hmmm, errrr, just to remind you that defrosting in a microwave will dry out the mouse and it is preferable to have a moist prey for your snakes. And, as Blutengel said, the inside can be way way too hot.
The best thing to do (I have found out and heard) is to thaw it in how water. There isn't much change of the inners being too hot or the mice to be dry if you put it in hot water from the tap, change it for more hot water when it has cooled down and put more hot water and mine goes for it like she hadn't eaten in several weeks.
I have found that if she is not that interested, I tap gently (very gently) the mouse (holding it by the tail) on her nose and then she goes for it!