PDA

View Full Version : There it goes AGAIN!!!!

There it goes AGAIN!!!!

ChrisR:)
04-14-2006, 01:13 PM
ok i have probly posted a lot of things on humidity but i still have a problem yesterday the hum was about 60 in the morning 55 in the afternoon 50 in the evening and then at night it shot right back up to 65 almost 70!!!! is there anything i can do about this or is this just some time of day that i have no control over? :shrugs: i dont want my baby amel to get mouth or belly rot! :eek1:

jenkva
04-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Chris,
I would suggest that you update the post you already have created about humidity so that the history of what you said and was said to you can be seen therefore we can advise you appropriately as it would not make sense us repeating what was already said to you ;)

Jynx
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
What are you using to gauge your humidity, and where is it placed? What sort of substrate are you using?

scad2k
04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
i was wondering the same thing about humidity.mine varies from 50% to 60%
is this ok.check the pic for where the hydrometer is.Its not the best pic but the hydrometer is the shadow on the right.
Its probly 1/3rd down from the top of the viv

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j...2k/SV200154.jpg

04-14-2006, 01:45 PM
i have a "kritterz" dial hygrometer stick on and this is the first time this has happened the other times it didnt go below 60 but i moved the tank so it doesnt do that anymore the meter is about 1/3 of the way down the tank is on top of a bookcase(properly secured) i just want to know if it has to do with the time of day

04-14-2006, 01:45 PM
oh and aspen is my substrate

04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
ohh and it is also raining outside could this be the cause?

Jynx
04-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Cornsnakes come from a pretty humid region of the US. Hatchlings and younger corns tend to do well in more humidity than older corns. 50% humidity really is not that bad, but to ensure that no health issues will come of it, I'd use a substrate that doesn't hold the humidity in, like aspen. Try to steer clear of the coconut bark and other fine substrates like that. They require being mixed with water, causing very high amounts of humidity, and are very fine and dusty when dried out. Overall, it can cause more problems in your snakes health.

If you are misting, then cut down to a slight mist maybe once a week. A nice little shower isn't a bad thing, but cutting down on the frequency may help reduce the humidity.

Cycal
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Lose the dial hygrometer and buy a digital one. I had a set of those exact same ones and they read around 20% high.

Jynx
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
ohh and it is also raining outside could this be the cause?

That could be part of it. :) If the problem persists, try using maybe a smaller waterbowl.

danvega
04-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Like previously stated, a digital hygrometer (and thermometer) is definitely the way to go. However, I would also recommend periodically cleaning the sensor/inlet, which is taking the humidity measurement. A lot of times, the sensor/inlet will trap or retain moisture--which will cause a false reading.

Serpwidgets
04-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, when it is raining, the humidity in the air (outside) is 100%.

I've kept corns in Chicago (where it is very humid, and I used to mist their cages daily on top of that) and in Denver, (where it is very dry) and I've never had an issue with the humidity at either of these extremes. :shrugs:

Unless they are having some kind of problem that is humidity-related, I don't think you need to stress over the humidity level.

04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
well what do ya know i bought a digital thermo/hygrometer from walmart and the humidity has been 50 all along :cheers: stupid dial piece of crap