PDA

View Full Version : Help Re-Sizing Photos

Help Re-Sizing Photos

manog
04-17-2006, 05:55 PM
I am sure this is probably a really amateur question but i am having problems posting pictures on the forum. it says my files are to large. How do i resize them? I am fairly computer literate but i have never dealt with digital images.

Thanks for your help!

carol
04-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Do you have Microsoft Photo Editor or some other type of Photograph software?

manog
04-18-2006, 01:45 AM
I have paint shop. I can shrink pixels down to 800x800 to make them upload but it really limits me to a small portion of the actual picture i want to use? What is the trick to make a whole photo fit?

Thanks

danvega
04-18-2006, 02:19 AM
If you are using paint try this:
1. Click on image at the top of the screen
2. Click on stretch/skew on the pull-down menu
3. Under stretch (do not change the skew) decrease the amount (%'s) in equal amounts for both horizontal and vertical--e.g. 50% and 50% or 80% and 80%. As long as you change both by the same amount, the picture will resize smaller, without any distortion to the original.
4. Then after chnaging the %'s, click image and then attributes--this will show the pixels
5. Repeat step 3 as needed, when you get close to the size you need (under 800 x 800), then in step 3, only input small increments like 99% or 98%.
6. Save new resized picture and upload to site.

Hope this makes sense.

DannyB
04-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Open the image in PSP (Paint Shop Pro), on the menu's click on Image, then resize. A box will open with the various resize options. Make sure you 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' and the I tend to use the % of orginal size option.

Once you've got it down to a reasonable size (make sure before you finish that you view it at 1:1, click on 'View' and then 'Normal Viewing 1:1. Sometimes PSP defaults to a 2:1 or 3:1 zoom so you think the pictures the right size when in fact its too big) click on 'File' the 'Export' and pick the JPEG optimizer.

You'll see an image of the right with its file size and an image on the left with what will be new file size (just under picture on the right of each image). If the new file size is under 263k you're ok, save the file where you want to.

If it is over 263k the you'll need to adjust the compression ratio until its just under the 263k file size. Just remember the more you compress themore 'lossy' the image quality. Anything up to about 8x compression should be about of though.

Hope this helps but any more questions let me know. I can help you a bit with Photoshop also.

Cheers

attackturtle
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
If you use windows, just go here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

Microsoft has this available for free. Just right click the pic and choose the new size. It created a NEW file at the size you want leaving the old one unedited.

logic
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
great tips, thanks guys...!!!

:cheers:

Nanci
10-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I use the program Thumbs Plus for most of my image management. It's great for looking at all your photos in one folder at the same time. It's very simple to resize with Thumbs Plus- you choose resize from the menu, then I just type in 800 (pixels) for the width, and let it fill in the height and save.

Nanci

mvervest
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
I use IRFANVIEW , it is free to download and easy to use .

logic
10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
If you are using paint try this:
1. Click on image at the top of the screen
2. Click on stretch/skew on the pull-down menu
3. Under stretch (do not change the skew) decrease the amount (%'s) in equal amounts for both horizontal and vertical--e.g. 50% and 50% or 80% and 80%. As long as you change both by the same amount, the picture will resize smaller, without any distortion to the original.
4. Then after chnaging the %'s, click image and then attributes--this will show the pixels
5. Repeat step 3 as needed, when you get close to the size you need (under 800 x 800), then in step 3, only input small increments like 99% or 98%.
6. Save new resized picture and upload to site.

Hope this makes sense.

I haven't tried the other programs yet, but I have tried paint...
and I have strunk/resized to quite a bit, still now luck..!

Here is the message I am getting...
{File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 146.5 KB. Your file is 1.23 MB.}