PDA

View Full Version : Not lucky enough to live near corns....but.

Not lucky enough to live near corns....but.

Ryan23
04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
I'd be in heaven if I lived in Florida but I don't do too bad way up north here.

Went out herping a few days ago to the local snake dens that are about 10 minutes from my house and seeing as how beautiful out it was I managed to find a bunch of Bullsnakes out enjoying the sun. 6 in total for the day and they were all warm and really feisty. It really is amazing how much these guys sound like rattlesnakes when they hiss and rattle their tails in the dry grass.....considering rattlers share the same dens you have to be sure which is actually making the noise, lol.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/Livingskies/Local%20Wildlife/DSC01748.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/Livingskies/Local%20Wildlife/DSC01752.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/Livingskies/Local%20Wildlife/DSC01744.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/Livingskies/Local%20Wildlife/DSC01745.jpg

The rattlers aren't out quite yet or I just didn't see them but it shouldn't be long, no garters either today but I wasn't in the best area for them.

Enjoy the pics even if they aren't corns :rolleyes:

RyanR
04-18-2006, 09:58 PM
very nice snakes:) i wish i lived further south to!

BeckyG
04-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Those are great pictures of beautiful snakes. Thanks for sharing.

lefty_mussolini
04-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Very cool. I am always a fan of wild pituophis even if they are a bit wiley.

corns are cool
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
are bull snakes venomuse

mbdorfer
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Great pics! Especially that 2nd shot :cool:

No, Bullsnakes are not venomous :wavey:

bribrian
04-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Great pics, lucky you..... :)

miamijuan3
04-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Wish i was you. The only snakes i see are gangbangers and drug dealers. :sidestep:

Ryan23
04-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Lol, well just two months ago that's all I was used to seeing too!! I just moved out of the city to a small town near some of the best snake country in Canada.

Glad everyone liked the pics.

scottrussell
05-01-2006, 12:24 PM
i don't know about everyone else but i think looking for rattlesnakes would be fun...i found a copperhead once and it was awesome...

your_only_nightmare
05-01-2006, 03:39 PM
your lucky... now live in england.. in the city... no wild nsnakes... when i used ot live in canada we had lots of snakes. great ones... damn i wish i was still there. i think i wqs about 9 or 10. i went out side every day to catch some snakes and the occasionlly lizard

SnakeAround
05-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Impressive bulls! Did they try to bit you? How did you manage to pick them up then?

Ryan23
05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Most don't try and bite but one of them sure did, lol. Bit 3 times but no damage done, just a few pinholes that barely bled.

Once I make sure what snake it is (rattlers in the same area) I just grab them, not much too it as they normally try and run first so you just grab them by the last third of the body. It's the ones that coil up and start doing the open mouthed hissing that you have to be carefull with as they will strike but in most cases it's a closed mouth attack.

snake5007
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
how can you compare gangbangers and drug dealers to snakes? :-offtopic i know snakes are cold blooded,killers(in the wild at least),but,come on man,how are they supposed to sell it! oh, sorry,thats where the owner comes in! :grin01: nice bull snakes,they weren't dodgy were they? :grin01:

Niksa
05-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Lol, well just two months ago that's all I was used to seeing too!! I just moved out of the city to a small town near some of the best snake country in Canada.

Glad everyone liked the pics.

Out of newbie curiosity...

How'd you catch the snake to get a picture with it? Did you use those extended forecep snake catching-things? (I'm sure there would be a common name for this tool) Or did you just stealth it up?

Excellent pics.

Niksa
05-06-2006, 02:48 AM
Most don't try and bite but one of them sure did, lol. Bit 3 times but no damage done, just a few pinholes that barely bled.

Once I make sure what snake it is (rattlers in the same area) I just grab them, not much too it as they normally try and run first so you just grab them by the last third of the body. It's the ones that coil up and start doing the open mouthed hissing that you have to be carefull with as they will strike but in most cases it's a closed mouth attack.

And I guess that's the reply to my question above ;)

Newbie tip - always check for a second page of posts :)

Piper
06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Great looking snake!

WRATHCHILD798
06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
do corn snakes live in texas maybe in the katy area?

SnakeCreations
06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
That is so neat - I think Bulls are very cool. I've had them chase me..hehe. I bothered a rather large one enough that he decided the best way to get away from me was to come right at me. Funny... he was right. Hmmmm.... sounds kind of like my ex-husband...<snicker>

I was hiking a few years back and a smaller one was stuck in a coffee pot (a depression in slickrock that is water eroded - but no exit). So I think I'm gonna help this little guy out. Well he thought I was going to eat him, so kept charging me. Being a girl I scream and run...hehehe. Eventually I was able to scoop him with a stick and toss him out. Of course I toss him at my girls who, guess what, scream and run. I had to sit down I was laughing so hard! It was a funny scene from E.T. Screaming Flailing girls...hehehe

Great pics - Looks like you had a great time!

-Tonya