PDA

View Full Version : tuna scenting for adults?

tuna scenting for adults?

SnakeAround
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
I'd really want to get all off my adult snakes that are refusing f/t, to eat f/t, for different reasons. Do you think tuna/chicken broth scenting would help with that? Most of them really have NO interest at all for f/t but readily eat live prey....they just get away when f/t is introduced.... and ignore it when left with it Of course I can try the cutting and warming tricks, but with some I already did and it didn't work..... (though my refusing f/t blue beauty ate a cut f/t ratpink today... but that's non-corn )

jenkva
04-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Hi B!

Have you decided not to keep breeding feeder?

Tuna juice scenting is supposed to be good. Also, have you tried braining the f/t?
Freya (mine ;) ) is more eager to go for the food when there are some cuts on the skin of the back. Just 3/4 cuts on the skin and she goes towards the cuts to smell it... that might help :shrugs:

aiden_punx
04-23-2006, 09:58 AM
have you tried feeding a much smaller live prey item then giving the f/t i hear that works well you do that a few times then they should just take the f/t on its own

xavusangel
04-23-2006, 11:33 AM
My 96G Corn snake wouldnt eat and i did the Tuna Scenting and she gobbled it down :)

SnakeAround
04-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Tnx for the reply's!

Some I tried to seduce with cuts/braining, it didn't work.... I tried smaller preys on some, didn't work.... but I bought me a tin of tuna chunks in water and am waiting for a feeding day of a stubborn live feeder to come up.

@Jenkva; yeah, i kept a self bred lady mouse, I don't expect to get all my snakes to eat f/t.... I also bought me very big amounts of mouse bedding and food today, was offered to me quite cheap; me silly.... The mouse bedding is the same as snakey bedding, so that's no problem.... should all my snakes get into eating f/t, I happily sell oof the remaining mouse food for little!

jenkva
04-24-2006, 05:19 AM
cross my fingers, touch wood they all end up eating f/t

DannyB
04-24-2006, 06:35 AM
how do you scent the mouse? Do you just let the mouse sit on the tuna for a while??

Thanks

Lennycorn
04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Just thinking out loud again,
but have your tried lightly scenting a live prey with tuna juice, to get your non f/t snake condition to tuna, and increase the amount of "scent" with each feeding. Then switch to f/t scented prey???
Just a thought. :shrugs:

Good Luck :cheers:

cornsnakefan999
04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
I've heard that useing fresh killed mice works great to transition to f/t. Hope that helps.

SnakeAround
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
@Lenny; could be a great idea! Only if the snake refuses the tuna scented live prey, what to do with that smelly mouse?!

@cornsnakesfan; I cannot kill a halthy mouse.... yeah, it is a form of hypocricy (?), I know...

@danny; dunno, I guess so.... or just rub the fluids into the fur maybe, never done it before. I first try a cut hopper rat on them tomorrow! (Today my blue beauty ate 2 f/t rat pinks and a f/t rat hopper just by moving them around a bit with a pair of tongs, just warmed up in water and dried a little; hooray!)

Lennycorn
04-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I've heard that useing fresh killed mice works great to transition to f/t. Hope that helps.

Try what the kid said. :shrugs:

gnarhimself
04-25-2006, 08:40 AM
If you can get hold of a lizard (freeze it).When you try and feed you adult,rub the mouse along the frozen lizard to transfer the "smell" of the lizard to the mouse...
I have heard that sometimes that works for some people. :eek1:
:crazy02:
:wavey:

SunnyCorn
04-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I've heard that when a snake goes into it's shed mode, it's doesn't eat until it's done shedding. Is that true? o.O