PDA

View Full Version : New Corn Barfing - Is It OK?

New Corn Barfing - Is It OK?

CornPony
10-14-2002, 11:42 PM
I got my new baby corn on Oct 5, 2002. He is about 1 foot in length.

Fed him a single small pinkie on Oct 8.

He pooped on me while handling him on Oct 11. I figured this was a good time to feed him again. Fed him one pinkie and he took it so well I went ahead and fed a 2nd. He seemed to handle both just fine.

Waited until Oct 13 to handle him again. Only handled him for about 5 minutes.

In the last couple of days I've noticed he has begun to actually use his hides instead of burrowing under the Aspen shreds. So when I saw him out of his hide tonight (Oct 14) I assumed this was further progression in his acclimation. However, after a couple of minutes he started moving his head around with his mouth wide open. My daughter and I guessed what was next and sure enough, he barfed up a pinkie.

The pinkie was about 2/3 of its original size with no visible appendages or head.

After completing this he went over to the warm hide and disappeared. After about 15 minutes I checked on him and found that he had barfed up what I think was another pinkie only this time it was maybe 1/3 its original size.

Then he retired to his cool hide.

Don't know if this is relevant but he is showing signs of shedding today.

I guess I'm wondering three things,

1) did I blow it by feeding him 2 pinkies or could there be another reason why he barfed up his dinner?

2) do I need to do anything for him right now?

3) when should I feed him again?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)

dartguy
10-14-2002, 11:57 PM
Ive found that a corn can regurgitate its food when its near to or during a shed - I wouldnt worry too much - let him be for 7-10 days and try feeding again - also check the temp - they need a warmer side to help digest meals -

:cool:

Alicia
10-15-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by CornPony

Don't know if this is relevant but he is showing signs of shedding today.

I guess I'm wondering three things,

1) did I blow it by feeding him 2 pinkies or could there be another reason why he barfed up his dinner?

2) do I need to do anything for him right now?

3) when should I feed him again?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)

For some snakes shedding can be an issue especially if they ate too big a meal:)

1. I think he just ate too much, go back to 1 pinkie next time.

2. Nothing, leave him alone to rest.

3. 7 - 10 days. He needs time for his stomach to settle down.

Double check your temps, make sure he has plenty of clean water and time to rest undisturbed. Good luck:)

CornPony
10-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the quick response. You've eased my nerves a bit! :)

OK. So I'll wait 7 days to feed him again (seems like such a looong time!)

Can I handle him at all during this period? So far, I've restricted my handling to maybe 5 minutes or so only 4 or 5 times.

Regarding temperatures, here is my setup. I got a really beautiful cage from HerpCages.com; it is about 20 gal capacity. It has a ventilation screen on the top that covers about 2/3 of the top surface.

I put a heat mat (purchased from same place) under one side (about 6"x12" mat size). It is not actually touching the cage bottom; its about 1/2" from cage floor. And, I put a utility lamp with hood and 40W bulb on top. The I put a vertically oriented stick-on thermometer about 2 inches from the floor on the end wall on the hot side of the cage.

The heat mat stays on all the time. When I've left the lamp on the air temp inside has climbed to as much as 90 so I'm using it very sparingly now.

But my question is this, how do I monitor the temperature of the cage floor where the heat mat is? It seems very hot. Or, should I care? There is plenty of aspen bedding on the floor of the cage and one hide on each side of the cage so I've assumed my corn can choose a variety of levels/heats (cool side on the floor, cool side on the top of bedding, hot side on the floor, hot side on top of the bedding, etc.)

In fact, even after eating the 2 pinkies I never saw my corn on the hot side of the cage. Instead, I'd always find him on the cool side. Of course, I may have missed it and he may have been over there some of the time.

dartguy
10-15-2002, 12:41 AM
it is probably too hot under the lamp, that is why he stays on the cooler sideyou have to remember that the temp on the floor of the cage WILL be hotter than the thermometer reads, i think the hottest he needs it is around 85 which the mat can provide alone...i would use only the heat mat...these snakes can handle cooler temps much easier than hot ones......i think you could handle him during the waiting time for feeding...the reason you wait is to allow his stomach acids to build up......

keep up the good work

Alicia
10-15-2002, 12:41 AM
It would be a good idea to check your temps right on the substrate since that is where the snake spends most of their time. A snake will regurge if temps are too high. You need a thermometer reading right on the substrate. Check your warm and cool sides. Cool side is good at 70 (night) 75 (day) and warm side should stay around 84 - 88 for good digestion. If you temps are too high on the warm side then try without the light and check temps again. If they are still too warm you can plug your uth into a rheostat or thermostat and control the heat that way.

As far as holding your snake, I would wait at least 3/4 days and then you might take him out for a little bit:)

dartguy
10-15-2002, 12:44 AM
hehe ..... LOL

:D

CornPony
10-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Alicia and dartguy,

Thank you both soooo much for your quick replies and valuable insights and advice. I really appreciate your help.

John in Chicago

dartguy
10-15-2002, 12:48 AM
post a pic when you can - I'd like to see the little guy

Alicia
10-15-2002, 12:50 AM
LOL

Good luck:D

CornPony
10-15-2002, 01:09 AM
Oh, so you'd like to SEE the little guy? (whips out expand-o-matic, CLEARVUE, web-based picture holder!)

I guess this is why they call it a "hide"!

CornPony
10-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Taking a walk.

CornPony
10-15-2002, 01:11 AM
And, here's the pinkie that caused this whole post!

dartguy
10-15-2002, 01:16 AM

whiffin
10-15-2002, 07:39 AM
Can I handle him at all during this period? So far, I've restricted my handling to maybe 5 minutes or so only 4 or 5 times.

Yes, that'll be fine. You are not ment to handle corns for 24-48 hours after feeding (until the meal is digested). Most corns also don't like being handled durnign shedding (their eyes go blue).

Other than that, handle when you want (preferable early evening).

I take Suzy out for 20 mins every day (4 months old), except after feeding, and sometime he'll sleep on me (pocket, sleeve, collar) for an hour. The more you handle him the more he'll know that you are safe. Now SUzy has no problems at all being handled.

If you take a look at my web site, and click the "About Suzy" button you'll see the 'story' of his handling for the first few weeks - taht maybe of use.

HTH

Rachel
10-15-2002, 08:54 AM
No I would leave him alone for the 7-10 days. Let him settle down and build up stomach enzymes etc. If he ever regurgs again, do the same. Leave well alone for a week then try feeding. All you should do is change his water. Hope he feeds well next time! :)

Iris
10-17-2002, 01:13 AM
Aww wut a cute little thing
Although I hope you don't usually feed him on the aspen..!

basically the same thing happened when I decided to bump my anery up to 2 pinks. I handled her 2 days after and both came up mashed into one blob. I saw her "gagging" but couldn't bear to actually see the mice come up so I turned my head. Anyway WHOA those things stink!
Since then, I have fed her 2 pinks and she's digested them with no problems. I think I just handled her too soon that one time.

CornPony
10-17-2002, 03:06 AM
I'm guessing from your response that feeding him on the aspen is not good. Where should I feed him?

You think the problem was handling him too soon after feeding? I wondered if it was just too soon to give him 2 pinkies or maybe even the fact that he was starting to shed. Maybe "all of the above"! :)

And yes, those pinkies turn into stinkies on the way back up!!!

Even though it was gross I couldn't resist watching the whole thing! My 11 year old daughter stood right there and watched it with me and she never even flinched!

Richard
10-17-2002, 10:03 AM
try feeding him i a paper bag or a dif. contanier. I use an old cat sand bucket for mine they can't clime out (right now) and it get's them used to eating in one spot so when they go in there they know what time it is and they don't think every time you open the cage they are gonna get food aka fingers imho
Richard

Iris
10-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CornPony
I'm guessing from your response that feeding him on the aspen is not good. Where should I feed him?

You think the problem was handling him too soon after feeding?

Aspen can block up the digestive passage if it is accidentally swallowed. I think Bmm recently lost a snake which showed signs of bloating and it turns out it had a belly full of aspen (even though he never fed it on the aspen. weird!).
Feed him on a table top, a shoebox, a paper bag, anything like that as long as it can't accidentally ingest something along with its meal.

No, I don't think that your snake's regurge happened b/c you handled it too soon, I meant that in reference to my snake's regurge. Sorry if that was a bit unclear.

CornPony
10-18-2002, 04:04 PM
It makes sense about the aspen. But is this necessary only as a baby? What about when he's full grown?

Iris
10-18-2002, 04:27 PM
It would probably be best to continue it through the snake's whole life.
It works out well for me. This way the snake gets some exercise every couple days because I usually end up handling him for a little while before giving him the mouse/mice. :)

drizzt_19
10-18-2002, 09:48 PM
this is a good example of what aspen can do if the snake happens to digest some it.
www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3382
even when you dont feed them on aspen it can happen. i just thought i would let you know that flukes can happen.
BTW that is a very beautiful corn you have there

hope i didnt scare you & happy herping
drizzt