PDA

View Full Version : I think my corn was REALLY hungry....

I think my corn was REALLY hungry....

Angelina
10-15-2002, 12:00 AM
I fed my corns yesterday and noticed something weird...my snow corn, Jenna ate her pinkie LIVE!!!

I have had them for about a month now and have been feeding them live pinkies. My snow is a great eater, but usually she constricts around them and kills them before she eats them. Yesterday she just put the darn thing in her mouth and squeezed and ate it alive!!! She was still hungry, so I gave her another one, she ate it the same way!! Is that normal?? I am going to have to get frozen ones if she keeps that up, it was horrible to watch :eek: :( . Does anyone know why she did that? I thought that maybe she was so hungry that she couldn't wait to kill it!

Axe
10-15-2002, 12:07 AM
Well, pinkies don't have teeth, so the snakes see them as no threat. The main reason they constrict them is not to kill them before consumption, but simply to prevent them from attacking or running away.

If they don't see the pinky as a threat, or that it doesn't have the potential to suddenly disappear, they'll just wolf 'em down.

But, yeah, it probably would be a good idea to go ahead and freeze the pinkies now, and defrost as you need them.

That way, as you move up to larger sizes of mice, you lessen the risk of having a snake that'll only eat live prey.

If they get used to frozen/thawed now, you should have no problems in the future :)