PDA

View Full Version : Opal has a kink :(

Opal has a kink :(

zwyatt
04-24-2006, 02:18 AM
My opal zig zag female has a kink (or what I’m calling a “kink“). I just wanted to vent a little. I’ve known for a while, but just haven’t made it around to posting until now.

She didn’t have any visible problems at time of purchase in October. I can’t remember for sure, but I would say the first time it was noticeable was probably around late November. A day or so after a shed it looked like she had a small spot that was being constricted by a piece of retained skin. Upon closer inspection I could see a slight hint of a kink.
So by that time, there was no chance of a refund or replacement. She’s such a sweetheart that I wouldn’t want an out and out replacement anyway. It does suck, because I definitely had breeding plans for her in the future. :rolleyes:

It’s a little ways up from her vent. Maybe about 2/3s of the way down her body. The only time it’s even noticeable is if you hold her up in the air and try to hold her straight up and down like a piece of string. That’s when the kink is pronounced. Other than that, you can’t see it. The way she moves you'd never know it was present and you can't see it when she's slithering about. Thankfully, she has no problems eating, shedding, etc.

Anyways, with any luck I’ll be able to get a sister of hers (except a 2006 model) from the same breeder later this year. And when I move into my new apartment in August this girl may just get to upgrade to a display viv and put her rack days behind her. :)

I’m attaching the pics, so they may be in any order. There are a few different angles. You can see the one pic that really exaggerates how bad it looks.

Thanks for listening/looking.

Roy Munson
04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
That's too bad Zach. I'm not sure if I'd buy another opal from the same breeder again, though. The whole reason you probably abandoned breeding plans for this one is that you fear it's a hereditary condition. If it is, her siblings have a good chance of carrying or expressing it too. I understand that any breeder can hatch out a kinked animal, so I'm not saying that you should boycott that breeder altogether. But if I were in your situation, I'd probably feel better buying a breeder opal elsewhere. :shrugs:

Chris Olson
04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree to some extent with Roy. If you feel the breeder sold it to you with the kink unintentionally and you want to buy from him again, see if you can get an opal that is unrelated. I personally feel, however, that he/she should work with you on getting a replacement to you at no cost, or at least a reduced cost. If he missed the kink before he shipped it, it is reasonable to assume that the buyer could overlook it for awhile. In any case, it is what it is....a kinked snake :awcrap: , I don't care how long it took you to catch it, I would replace it if I were the seller (not saying the seller is in anyway a bad guy :sidestep: , because I don't know who it is or what communication you've had with him regarding this issue)........you might talk to him about...

Good luck either way,
Chris Olson

zwyatt
04-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the input, guys.

Yes, Dean, you're right about the genetic part. I am operating under the assumption that this is at least somewhat genetic. If it had been an incubation problem, I thought it would have probably been present right out of the egg. However, my knowledge on the subject isn't great.
For whatever reason, it hadn't crossed my mind that sibs of hers could be carriers if it is genetic. Just don't tell my boss/genetics professor that I made such an oversight :)

I did actually pick her out in person at the show in Chicago this past fall. I certainly wouldn't have purchased her had this problem been apparent at the time. I've contacted the seller to see what options, if any, there might be. I've only read good things about him, and talking to him he seemed like a nice guy (Yes, I realize this isn't always the best indicator. But I've got fairly good radar, most of the time). Seeing as it's been some time since purchasing her, I wouldn't be surprised, and couldn't hold it against him, if he is hesitant in taking any action. Who knows? I'll just see what happens.

dionythicus
04-25-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm in the same boat, Zwyatt, with a caramel female I bought in Oct., too. At the time I didn't notice anything amiss, but as time progressed I noticed a raised kink in her spine about halfway down her back. It gets more pronounced as she ages. I had big plans for breeding her because she has a bright yellow background with thick black borders on her saddles, het for butter of course. The other caramel I got from the same breeder at the show was her sibling and died a week after I got her. Needless to say, I'm not interested in purchasing from that person again.

I hope your girl's kink doesn't become a problem to her quality of life. I'm keeping a close eye on mine. Best of luck!

zwyatt
04-25-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm in the same boat, Zwyatt, with a caramel female I bought in Oct., too. At the time I didn't notice anything amiss, but as time progressed I noticed a raised kink in her spine about halfway down her back. It gets more pronounced as she ages. I had big plans for breeding her because she has a bright yellow background with thick black borders on her saddles, het for butter of course. The other caramel I got from the same breeder at the show was her sibling and died a week after I got her. Needless to say, I'm not interested in purchasing from that person again.

I hope your girl's kink doesn't become a problem to her quality of life. I'm keeping a close eye on mine. Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things don't get worse. So far, it seems to be staying about the same.

Hopefully, your situation will turn out for the best, as well.

zwyatt
04-26-2006, 12:24 AM
I contacted the seller and he has one holdback female left. I'll have to cover shipping cost, but it looks like we will be working out a replacement. :)

dionythicus
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
That's good news. I hope it works out!