PDA

View Full Version : My Baby Amel Won't Starve, Will It?

My Baby Amel Won't Starve, Will It?

ChrisR:)
04-25-2006, 12:39 AM
ive tried once and unsuccessfully to feed my corn for the first time but i was wondering will it starve itself to death from mot eating or will it eventually eat out of hunger? :shrugs:

dionythicus
04-25-2006, 12:57 AM
There needs to be alot more information provided for anyone to make a determination.

How old is the snake? Was it eating before you got it? Is it healthy? How long have you had it? What are the viv conditions (heat, hides, humidity, etc.)? What did you try to feed it; f/t, live or something too large maybe?

There are plenty of things that could have an impact on why it didn't eat. If it's healthy, it can probably go a few weeks without much problem. There are many ways to convince a baby snake to eat. We just need to know what the conditions are that you're working with so we can help you.

04-25-2006, 01:11 AM
it is a baby amel about 10 inches long in a 10 gallon with a uth at 85 (glass temp) and about 70 on cool side. humidity is between 45-50 two hides (one on each side) aspen, HOWEVER when i went to the reptile store it was in a cage with a lot of other babies AND they said they fed them live mice and had live anoles in their tank as another source of food looks healthy owner says they all eat fine. i tried 2 feed a thawed out pinkie in a deli cup at about 4 pm sunday and it wouldn't eat so i poked a hole in pinkie head and smeared the "brain fluid" over 4head of pinkie (owner said scent is very attracting towards snake) but still didn't eat(instead looking for way 2 get out) so im gonna try again tomorrow at 9pm with a towel over cup and see what happens if doesnt eat within half hour im going to open top take towel off and put cup in cage. hope this helped!!! :)

dionythicus
04-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Your set-up sounds good.

Wait three days between feeding attempts. Feeding too frequently can train them to refuse food. I would leave the snake in a deli cup overnight with only one "brained" pinky. That way it has the security of darkness and all night to get acquainted with its meal. Also, you might want to cut small slits in the pink's back. That helps the snake digest quicker and easier, but it's not necessary. It is good advice though. If live pinks are available to you, I would suggest feeding live if two or three more f/t are rejected. You can work on switching the snake over to f/t thawed once you're sure it's eating well.

Others may have different suggestions. I hope you find advice that works for you.

04-25-2006, 06:45 PM
wait what is braining again?

Bobo's Mama
04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Braining is what you did already, when you poked a hole in the pinky's head and smeared the fluid on its forehead. That's braining

MegF.
04-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I am concerned by the fact that they were feeding anoles. There's a good chance that your baby was started on anoles and now won't eat mice. You'll probably have to scent with an anole, or with lizard maker in order to get the baby to eat. I would just keep paper towel in your tank and feed your baby directly in the tank with a scented pinky. Feeding late in the evening and putting it right in front of the area they are hiding often does the trick. Your baby is very young judging from the length. It probably hadn't even gotten established feeding yet. You might also need to get it checked for parasites if it's been eating lizards. I would offer every 5 days instead of 3.