PDA

View Full Version : bloated....dead

bloated....dead

bmm
10-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Well since three days ago when I posted that, my male Amel het Blizzard, HARLEY....died.
Last night before vet today unfortunatly.

And I would like to say I am pretty pissed off right now. His belly was full of aspen. A. I never feed my snakes on aspen. B. He only has aspen in a couple hides not all over tank and C. I *just* started using it to try it out since so many herpers love it.

Well I don't love it. Frankly I hate it and I will never use it again. It wasn't enough that it was hard to clean, my snakes poop directly under it, but now this. I am terribly upset. I have no idea how he got it into his mouth. But I have read back in some old forum posts on another forum and a couple others have had this problem. Of course I mean like two other people, its a fluke thing I guess. But anyways :(

bmm

Mare
10-16-2002, 04:50 PM
I am so terribly sorry for what happened. I don't blame you for being pissed off. It scares the heck out of me. All my babies are on aspen and I do feed them in their enclosures. Have for years!

I am going home to clear out all the tubs tonight. This is aweful.

Thanks for giving us the heads up, BMM.

bmm
10-16-2002, 04:56 PM
I honestly think its a fluke thing. Aspen is wonderful. It IS the best choice. :( I guess sometimes though we all get that one snake that is not o.k. with what all the other snakes do well with ya know? A fluke :(

:(
bmm

Simon
10-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Bmm......
sorry about your lost....

I too thought that I lost a hypo female today....she was half the way out of her sterilte box...I touched her a couple of times...and she wasn't moving at all....and then when I went to grab her to throw her out......all of a sudden I see this open mouth coming towards my hands.....and wham....I was hit.....and the female hypo got really pissed off and tried to stike again...but missed....lucky for me...she wasn't dead...and I thought that she was.....

as for the aspen...I think that it's just fluke too...I have over 100 snakes now....and I use aspen bedding for all of them...nothing ever happened to mine.....

really sorry about your lost..

hey I see that you are in Ontario....maybe someday we can meet up with each other and have a talk. You seem to know a lot of herping things! I could benefit a lot by talking to you!!

bmm
10-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Yes I am in Ontario!
:)

I am mostly into cornsnakes, and my first breeding will be next year. So I don't know how much you could benifit by talking to me but we are all learning things constantly so talking about snakes can never be anything but good!

Do you breed/sell/keep ??????
:)

bmm

pipatic
10-17-2002, 01:33 PM
sorry to hear of your lose ,they sell beech chips over which has cause the same thing ,
now i wont lose any cos of any substrate i stick to kitchen toweling and newspaper sod the looks keeps then safe and clean imho

bmm
10-17-2002, 03:57 PM
I have always used paper towel. I just figured I'd give aspen a try as most people rave about it. But I am going back to good 'ole clean easy paper towel.

bmm