PDA

View Full Version : curiosity killed the cat(snake)

curiosity killed the cat(snake)

drizzt_19
10-17-2002, 08:00 PM
i was wondering if any one could tell me what the f1 generation would look like and be het for if i bred an anery het for snow to a snow. i cant seem to figure this one out my self any help would be appreciated

thanks drizzt

ps the cornsnake prog i have says that they would look like anerys but 1?2 of them would be homo for snow and the other1?2 would be homo amel. is this correct or is the prog. malfunctioning. thanks

Hurley
10-17-2002, 08:38 PM
i was wondering if any one could tell me what the f1 generation would look like and be het for if i bred an anery het for snow to a snow. i cant seem to figure this one out my self any help would be appreciated

An anery het for snow carries a pair of anerythrism genes to make it an anery, and carries one amelanism gene paired with a normal gene --> so it carries amelanism, but doesn't express it. A snow is simply an animal that expresses (is homozygous for) amelanism (lacking blacks) and anerythrism (lacking reds)

If I call amel -> <i>a</i>, anery -> <i>n</i>, and their normal types -> A and N, then a snow could be expressed as: <i>aann</i>. Your anery het snow (i.e. het amel) could be expressed <i>Aann</i>

If you cross the snow to the anery, you have only 2 possible outcomes (assuming no hidden hets):

Snow x Anery het amel

an x An -----> 1:2 Aann (anery het amel)
an x an -----> 1:2 aann (snow)

ps the cornsnake prog i have says that they would look like anerys but 1?2 of them would be homo for snow and the other1?2 would be homo amel. is this correct or is the prog. malfunctioning. thanks

You should get 50% snows and 50% anerys het for amel (i.e. het for snow).

Jr Nimeskern
10-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Yep Hurley hit it right on the dot... of course there is always that possibility that the snakes have hidden traits in their blood somewhere! Breeding is the ultimate fun since you can never be exact to what your going to get!