PDA

View Full Version : "The missing morph"

"The missing morph"

CrazyCorn
10-18-2002, 03:02 PM
I have heard and seen these beautiful beasts but lately they are NO where to be found :confused: where did they go? what happened to them? What was their make up? Now your probably saying wtf is he talking about? :p Well i am talking about the "copperhead corn"! I would love to have some. does anyone still breed them? Is it possible to re-create them? How much were they going for? Thanks! CC

drizzt_19
10-18-2002, 03:32 PM
i remember hearing about this particular morph but i cant remember if it is a true corn or a corn rat cross. anyway i always wanted one so if anybody knows of someone who has some please let me know. thanks
drizzt

carol
10-18-2002, 03:53 PM
There were a few around a while back, I don't think they became real popular here is one link to the only place I can remember that had them. Hefty price and no pic. Ouch.
http://www.kingsnake.com/cherry/corn.html

Kat
10-18-2002, 04:37 PM
I actually asked about those on the KS forum a while back, and was told that the original breeder snakes had died, so none were being produced. I still have yet to see a pic of them, and haven't heard of anyone actually with some, so who knows if we'll ever see what they look like.

IMO, if the morph really did look like copperheads, then they must have been extremely pretty snakes. I love the patterns and colors on copperheads, just wish they weren't venomous or I'd keep some. :)

Matt L
10-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Hey All,
I think I remember reading a post in this forum about these copperhead corns coming out of the hypo line. It was a while back and I don't remember all of it, but I think Rich may be able to answer the question.

Matt L.

Jr Nimeskern
10-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Man I knew I shouldnt have read this post!!! Now Im wondering what a Copperhead Corn looks like... I was almost tempted to just go and buy one from Ceryville farm (I know I spelled it wrong)... I wonder what the pattern looks like.?.?. If it looks like a real copperhead... then I would be willing to pay $250 to get a pattern like that circulated in all the corn color morphs!!!

If anyone has a pic of one PLEASE post it here! I know my curiosity is at its peak!

drizzt_19
10-18-2002, 10:12 PM
i used to have book called corn snakes and other rat snakes. that book has a pic of copperhead corns in it. im gonna have to try and find it this week. now where to look?

drizzt

dartguy
10-18-2002, 11:34 PM
called "Rat Snakes: A Hobbyist's Guide to Elaphe and Kin" it has pics of a snake called a copperhead racer or radiated rat snake (Elaphe Radiata) also known as a copperhead racer
I can scan the photos and post them later

dartguy
10-19-2002, 12:18 AM
stumbled accross this ad and remebered it as aka copperhead racer or as these appear to be amel copperhead racers

:cool:

CrazyCorn
10-19-2002, 10:40 AM
Ok this is killing me now that i know someone breeds them! Hmm maybe if we all ask nicely the people @ cherryville farms will give us a photo? ;) I would love to ANY pics that might clue us in on what these snakes might look like or do look like! Thanks again for all the replys! CC

carol
10-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Don't count on it, I searched the cornsnake forum archives on kingsnake.com, there was a long list of posts of people asking to see pics and John never posted a single pic, just excuses. Interesting marketing strategy. Maybe someone here is from Texas and has seen one at a show?

kenalotia
10-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I don't know anything about Cherryville Farms, but when I read their little description of Copperhead Corns, I noticed it said, "only available here and at South Mountain Reptiles." Now I don't see anything about them at SMR, but if it's true, maybe Don has a picture?

carol
10-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Yes he is probably to only one we can get the HONEST scoop from. Unfortunatly this is an extremely busy time it may be awhile.

dartguy
10-19-2002, 08:09 PM
meant to post this link with the ad and pic of elaphe radiata or copperhead racer

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=6&de=19436

drizzt_19
10-20-2002, 08:09 PM
i emailed cherryville for a pic of a copperhead corn because i may get one but i wanted to see it first and the reply was if you buy one we can send you a pic but please purchase first. i thought screw this site if they cant give me a pic first then i wont by one. period

drizzt

drizzt_19
10-20-2002, 08:23 PM
hey guys i posted on the kingsnake forum for a copperhaed pic and clint boyer sent me this message with a pic of what they possibly look like
http://forum.kingsnake.com/corn/messages/56917.html

Jr Nimeskern
10-20-2002, 11:03 PM
OHOHOH thats nice... but he said he didnt know what they look like... I wonder...
I did like the Radiated Rat but I wouldnt want that snake if it wasnt a Corn... Now Im really wondering... if the Radiated Rat was the Copperhead corn... then that would suck but if its not... then OH MY GOODNESS IM GOING TO HAVE TO DISH OUT $250 JUST TO SEE ONE!!! HARD DESISION...

Kat
10-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Guys, IIRC the breeder snakes that were producing the copperhead corns died. (I asked about the copperhead corns a while back, and that was the response I got.) You couldn't buy one right now, even if you wanted to. (I think they're working on reproducing the bloodline though, so maybe in the future?)

Jr Nimeskern
10-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Ok thanks Kat... I'm guessing thats why their is no picture? or is that a marketing techinque? I just want to see one! LOL

Rich Z
10-21-2002, 03:31 AM
I thought everyone knew where the original stock of the elusive 'copperhead corn' came from.

Has anyone asked that question of Don or John Cherry?

http://www.serpenco.com/pics/copperhead.jpg

Just curious.............

Clint Boyer
10-21-2002, 08:25 AM
A more reddish brown Milksnake phase. First pic I've seen. I've got 2 males that look like this one, they are definately different.
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/whatami2
When I first heard of these a couple of years ago, I was sure the question of whose line they came from lead to SerpenCo's lines. But since I had not seen a pic till now I had just assumed it came from Milksnake phase lines when I saw how the two I have developed.

When I opened the shipping box from SerpenCo and found this guy I thought ,
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/milkc
"Cool, it has my initial on it!" Now I realize it must mean Copperhead instead of Clint :(

Jr Nimeskern
10-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Hey I asked The people at Cherryville farms what made up the Copperhead corn... This is the exact email that he sent me...

"The copperhead corn is a color morph produced from Serpenco's milk snake line, miami from South Montain and a root beer colored female that came out of a south mountian anthy/anthy breeding mixed in a 50% 25% 25% basis. We only produced 7 last year and are raising all of those up for breeding
hopefully next year. I lost my two adult pairs two years ago and had to start over again. Soderburg also has a male from these guys I gave him."

Now I hope that this clears up any questions on this snake... I asked if it was a Hybrid or a Radiated Ratsnake... and he strongly disproves of any Hybrids! So I dont think that these have any hybrid blood in them... Thought you all would like to know what makes up the Copperhead Corn...

Matt L
10-21-2002, 08:54 PM
eehhhmmm!

well I'm not a "I told you so" kinda guy.....but, I think some where in the begining of this thread i said ask Rich about this.

I remember reading a post from Clint and Rich a while back about the elusive copperhead corn.

I hope everyone takes this with a grain of salt----but I like to get a dig in every now and then.

Matt:) click here (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=605&highlight=copperhead)