PDA

View Full Version : Failed Feeding - Half swallow, refuse

Failed Feeding - Half swallow, refuse

Thinks2Much
05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I have a 2002 creamsicle male who has only eaten once since I took him out of brumation at the end of February. The successful feed was about 10 days after he was brought back to the warmth. I had tried a week after the successful feeding, when I thought he might be shedding, but I wasn't sure. He got the mouse halfway into his mouth/throat, when he backed off and basically spit it out. He did end up shedding two days later. Then he refused food completely for 6 weeks, showed no interest whatsoever. He is part of a breeding pair I have and he was extremely interested in doing his mating duties, so I wrote it off to that. I tried again the other day, even though it looked like he was shedding again, despite the fact that he hasn't eaten since the last time he shed. He did show interest, but once again got the mouse (frozen thawed, small adult) half way down, then backed off and spit it out. He ended up shedding the next day, yesterday. I don't know if it is relevant to the spitting behavior, but he has also been very touchy lately. He struck at me when I tried to give him water - that was the day before the most recent feeding failure. I thought maybe he had tried to bite me because he was finally hungry. He has always been a bit nervous about handling, but was never one to strike before.

Anyone have a snake do this half swallowing bit? Why would he get halfway through swallowing a mouse to spit it out again? I am quite sure it was thawed all the way, and I really don't think it was too big for him. I acquired this pair back in the fall and he ate fine then, the same size, frozen/thawed mice I am trying now. I had tried live hoppers at one point while he was refusing food completely to no avail. Any insight or suggestions welcome.

Drizzt80
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a male that did close to the exact same thing this year (only spit out his meal once, just recently). Yes, I believe it is a combination of it being a male, breeding season, and feeding right before shedding.

D80

Kvlt
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I have a male that did close to the exact same thing this year (only spit out his meal once, just recently). Yes, I believe it is a combination of it being a male, breeding season, and feeding right before shedding.

D80
my male okeetee did this and it was his first meal after a shed...but he had a meal about 8 days before this happened...so this is nothing to worry about?

Drizzt80
05-31-2006, 01:53 AM
my male okeetee did this and it was his first meal after a shed...but he had a meal about 8 days before this happened...so this is nothing to worry about?
Other possibilities that could be thrown into the mix are unevenly heated meals (ie. cold spot in the center), disturbed feeding (ie. a shy eater that gets looked in on), and too large a meal (ie. snake that hasn't eaten for a while getting a normal meal instead of something a bit smaller - hopper vs. mouse).

D80

poppycorn
05-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Not claiming that this is your answer but this thread came to mind:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16560&highlight=swelling+shed