PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Corn Care on your Palm

Tracking Corn Care on your Palm

Daniel Eaton
04-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Any Palm users out there? I am creating a HanDBase database to keep track of snakes, what/when they eat, their genetics, and so forth. Before I spend a lot of time on it, I wanted to make sure I'm not duplicating the wheel. Anyone else have something like this? Anyone want mine when I finish with it?
Daniel

vbgrafx
04-16-2002, 06:03 PM
i had the same question a month or so ago. i ended up downloading palm db from versiontracker.com (for macs) and i'm sure you can get it from cnet.com or tucows.com or something like that if you're a pc user. it's pretty good and keeps track of a lot of things. there are a couple of things that i wish it could do. like, i'd like to be able to keep a history of each snake, not just the latest info. maybe palm db will be good enough for you, but if you find something better, then post it. i'd definately be interested.:confused:

Simon
04-16-2002, 06:29 PM
well instead of palm....I just use my own computer.
I have a spread sheet that keeps all the record of each individual's eating and shedding record, well and copulation record......but since the pair that I have that is ready to breed hasn't bred yet.....so no use for now.....but if they did I keep everything on the spread sheet for better tracking record.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Daniel Eaton
04-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Right now I have three connected databases. One has a record for each snake. It has DOB, purchase date, supplier, gender, type, two different het traits, type of mother and father (if known), a section for notes, and so forth. Another DB has a list of all of the types and includes a brief description and reference to the types of the two parents if that is appropriate. Any of the "type" fields in the snake DB references these records. Finally, there is a DB to store all the info. You select the snake from a list of the ones in the database, it defaults to today's date, and has a place to put in the quantity and type of food (from a drop down list), and check boxes for pooping, shedding, mating, eggs laid (with qty), and hatch. I don't have a "mating" db yet, but will add one with a date that selects the parents from the db and tracks the pregnancy and birth with types of all the offspring and a place to put a unique identifier for each one. The desktop version of the software will allow you to export any of this data into Excel or some other database. Does this sound like it would be of any interest to anyone? If so, let me know and I can post it somewhere.
Daniel

Peter
04-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Not being a palm user, the desktop version sounds nice.
Hope you are enjoying your snakes:D

Serpwidgets
04-18-2002, 02:07 AM
Being the total computer geek that I am, I use pencil and paper to log all that stuff. Unless/until I go to mass-scale breeding I doubt I'll ever switch over. :)

...and since I probably can't come up with names for more than about 20 snakes, I doubt I'll be going to mass-scale anytime soon. ;)

Peter
04-18-2002, 06:34 AM
How did you and Kevin put a little pic with your name and how did you change your title from Senior Member to Genetics Geek? Is that your charcoal ghost?

Daniel Eaton
04-18-2002, 08:16 AM
For those of you that want to check out the database that this is compiled in, you can download a free trial version at http://www.handbase.com.
Daniel

Peter
04-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Should that snake look familiar to me?:D The pic is pretty small and it is hard to "read" the head marking.;) Also-How do you do that?(the pic thing)
Hope you're still enjoying them and when summer comes you can get free normals as well as others.

Nanci
12-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I would _love_ to have Palm Software for herp records. I use HanDBase a lot- I bet I could come up with something...Great idea.

Nanci

jaxom1957
12-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Any Palm users out there? I am creating a HanDBase database to keep track of snakes, what/when they eat, their genetics, and so forth. Before I spend a lot of time on it, I wanted to make sure I'm not duplicating the wheel. Anyone else have something like this? Anyone want mine when I finish with it?
DanielI am currently using Degei Herp DB on my desktop, but a Palm DB for my Treo would be great to have with me when I'm out looking at snakes and need to compare them to what I already have.

Nanci
12-18-2006, 08:29 AM
I just DLed Degei yesterday, and like it pretty well, but what I don't like is:

A: No image displayed on first page of animal record.

B: Does not display current weight/length (except in event list)

I've been using Herp Care, which I like a lot, but what I don't like is:

A: Mysteriously loses data.

B: Doesn't show refusals.

I'm going to work on something for HanDBase, though.

Nanci

JoannaD
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I've been using Degei and have been pretty happy. I would love something for the palm that can be backed up to Degei or to at least something on the computer. My computer is not where the snakes are and I find that I misplace my notes at times!

Joanna

Nanci
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Plus you'd know on the way home if you needed to stop and pick up take out!

Nanci

JasonGranger
12-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Plus, this thread has been dead for four years. :grin01: