PDA

View Full Version : Guys and Gals I really need Help

Guys and Gals I really need Help

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-12-2006, 07:29 PM
My albino Blood Red, Amon isn't eating at all. I got him in February, he's still very active and all over the place (being the spaz he is) But he's still not eating, I've done a Thread on this before and maybe it's time to take him to a vet, cause His backbone is showing a minimal amount but I'm worried. =(

Help me make sure my man Amon eats :cry:

carol
05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
So he hasn't eaten at all since you got him? Was he eating well for the previous owners?

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Guy is claiming he was, I mean Amon is over 5 ft long. He acts like hes ok, but I've tried everything, live, frozen, scalped. I've tried as much as I can think of, and I'm wondering if it's time to just take him in. It's not like u can majorly tell his spine is sticking out but I notice it and These snakes eat and are treated better then I treat myself, so to see him like this has my stressed out. Any suggestions Carol? any suggestions would be helpful. I've never had a corn refuse for so long.

Rena

carol
05-12-2006, 07:57 PM
How often are you attempting to feed him?
I very often have males refuse to eat during breeding season, but this year I tried a new experiment... Right out of brumation, I only offered my males food every 2-3 weeks and never more than that. This year I have not had a single male refuse a single meal, and I have A LOT of male breeders. If that pic was taken recently, he looks more than fine. I've had hatchlings survive over 7 months without ever having a single meal in their life, it's amazing how long they can go with out food.
I'd try not offering him anything for the next 3 weeks then give him a try. What are his temps like?

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
His temp is perfect he's always warm, never gets cold. I have tried offering every 2 weeks and still nothing, do u think it would be more stressful to take him to his vet, or should I just try feeding in 3 weeks?

Thx for such a quick reply.

carol
05-12-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd wait three weeks then try and feed him. In the meantime you may want to research a good reptile vet and make an appointment for 3 1/2 weeks so if he doesn't eat you have the appointment made. If he does, you can cancel it.

How much indirect sunlight does he get? Is he in a room with females?

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-12-2006, 08:31 PM
A very very very little amount of Sunlight, cause I'm paraniod about over heating, hes not around any females. Yeah I have a vet out here in CA I go to, he only does reptiles and he really helped my albino Kitana when she was sick. I still miss my vet back in CO cause he was amazing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, poor boy. He's active like hes hungry but when it comes down to it he isn't.

carol
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Brightening the room with indirect sunlight would help. If he was in a brighter room before, he could interpet the darker room as the days getting shorter and his brain thinks he has to get ready to brumate for the winter. Try to brighten up the room the best you can without overheating, and give him 3 weeks. Good Luck!

MegF.
05-12-2006, 10:46 PM
My male went off food for months, so I wouldn't worry overmuch. The only difference in mine and yours is that he was much bulkier so that the weight loss of 50 grams didn't show much.

dwyn127
05-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I have an '00 male snow that hasn't eaten in the last 2 months. Can't remember the last time he was in one of his hides. All he does is cruise his viv lookin' for love.:dancer:

PtDnsr
05-13-2006, 12:02 AM
You might have tried it but have you tried rats as well as mice? I have one female that has a definite preference to rats and will gladly take a rat over mice. Just another thought. I wouldn't worry though - unless it's a severe weight loss it could easily just be breeding season.

~Katie

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Indeed I have, rats and mice. I'm just going to try what carol suggested wait 3 weeks then try again. wish me luck

Muggle
05-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Did the previous owner feed live? If so, you might try that. You can switch him over once he's eating. Just a suggestion :rolleyes: .

Cflaguy
05-14-2006, 12:26 AM
owners habits with the snake. Muggle may be on to something. Did he feed him in his cage or outside? Was it in a dark box or no? I had a female who got addicted to eating only in a separate dark box outside of her aquarium. I had to take her out everytime.

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Did the previous owner feed live? If so, you might try that. You can switch him over once he's eating. Just a suggestion :rolleyes: .

lol as I said in the first post on thi ssubject, ive done live and frozen in BOTH rats and mice.

xXMetalsAngelXx
05-14-2006, 07:18 PM
owners habits with the snake. Muggle may be on to something. Did he feed him in his cage or outside? Was it in a dark box or no? I had a female who got addicted to eating only in a separate dark box outside of her aquarium. I had to take her out everytime.

Yes, when I posted I've tried everything...I've tried everything. I'm sure I'm over reacting but I'm just worried

DannyB
05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Our George wouldn't eat when we got him. On the advice of our local snake shop I tried braining a mouse (not pleasant and forgive me if you know what to do). Get a screwdriver - one of those little ones for mending glasses are pretty good perhaps a touch biger - and make a hole in the mouses skull and pull a little of the brain out over its nose. As I say not pleasant and only to be done with f/t obviously.

He then advised to get some tongs - i use bbq ones - and hold the mouse in the middle and make it 'walk' near the snake. Apparently if you dangle by the tail they sometimes can't see how to get a good strike and using tongs means it is not intemidated by something the size of your arm and hand.

George took the mouse in about 3 seconds. Had 2 weeks of successful feeds now. The guy who had him before me could only get him to eat 1 a month...

xXMetalsAngelXx
06-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Well Amon finally ate 2 mice, Thanks for all the concerns and Thanks Carol cause your idea worked =)