• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

regurge 3rd time

Virago

Hi Everyone,

I have a yearling that has just regurged for the 3rd time. Temps are 75 on the cold side and 85.3 on the warm. First time he regurged I waited 10 days -till next feeding. Second time he regurged was 4 days after the meal and the only reason I thought it was a regurge was because there was no brown in it. It looked pretty much like intestines and stuff. The third time was this morning, but he ate 5 days ago and again no brown but the mouse looked like it had gone in a dehydrator because it was sucked dry. now here's the catch he still eats right away and he has gained 20grams in the past 2 months so he must be getting some nutrition???????? he is on paper towel as he is always on papertowel and I don't have experience with mites but as I have read you would be able to see them moving/jumping. I guess it looks like pepper??? but there is no sign of them on the paper towels or on him. Afew of his scales right at the bottom of his sides have recently gone black but I just figured he was getting some colour as he is a normal with no black markings. Also around the same time he got these black scales he got some black markings around his mouth like most of my other corns that aren't amels???

I don't know Mathew, sounds like you have your temps right and are waiting the suggested time.You haven't said anything about the smell of the regurge. From what I read you can't mistake the smell. Are you also feeding a smaller food item??. Hopefully someone with more experience with chime in to help you out.

Good Luck.

I had the same problem a while ago with my fav snake, Kitana. I took her into a vet and he did a stomach flush to test for crypto...it's a type of parasite that lodges itself in the intestine but it usually ends up fatal. Her test was negitive, but he made sure she had fluids in her cause she was dehydrated. He also suggested uping her temp a bit. Sure enough she ate and kept it down a week later.

I would take the baby to the vet and get tested just in case. Better to be safe then sorry.

Good luck hun!

here's some bad pics

the first one is of the male in question as you can see he is starting to get some black colored scales along the bottom of his body. I looked at some old pictures and he had these a little but it seems that the whole scale is turning black. More with each shed.

stripeblackscales.jpg
[/IMG]

This second pic isn't the male in question but these are the same markings around the mouth. I think its normal.

mouth.jpg
[/IMG]

/?????????

Have you wittnessed a regurge, or are you just finding the remains in the viv? I think that in some cases the skin of the feeder is the last thing to be digested, and in some cases with a weakened digistive system a snake might simply pass the skin whole. Just a thought.

I Have Never Witnessed A Regurge, Only Find It A Few Days Later. Never Less Than 3-4 Days. If That Is True Then I Am Super Happy. If This Is True Then I Will Continue The Feeding Schedule As Normal But Will Only Feed Pinks Or Even Try A Pink Head Or Cut Up The Pink Or Whatever. Any More Advice? Anything On The Black Scales? Is This Normal?

The marks around the mouth are normal.

Whatever size mouse your snake is taking, buy one ½ that size and try that. I'm assuming you feed dead mice and if that is in fact the case, try slitting the mouse open along the back a few times to make it easier to digest...obviously you wouldn't do this with a live mouse.

I've seen that 'intestines' look and I think I'm sure it's totally fine and is actually poop. Try the 'mini-meal' for a couple of feeds 7 days appart and then slowly increase the size of the meal until it's bak to normal and then perhaps move back to a 5 day schedule.

We can't get nutribac around here, but I hear it's gold for treating gurgers.

Yeah, I just read you r thread again and see that it may not be a gurge after all. Treat it like one though and move on from there. I also hear that grapefruit seed extract (or something like that) is meant to work wonders.

I tend to think it's only skin left from digestion especially considering the time involved (5 days) and the fact that the snake is gaining weight. Chronic regurgers tend to not thrive. I would do as suggested and make a few cuts in the back for digestion and see if that changes the composition of the droppings. I cut all mine except for my amel's (he's big enough~doesn't need any help in that department).

Matthew - if it was a regurge, I don't think you'd be in any doubt, they stink to high heaven! So, unless you're not seeing it until it'd dried up and the smell had dissipated, I suspect what you've got there is poop, not regurge.

Just as an aside - you might consider dropping your temps a degree or so. Babies especially seem to thrive at slightly lower temperatures than usually recommended, specially when they're apparently having some digestion problems.

I would take it to a vet still, I mean the possiblyity it could be that paracite I posted about before is slim, but worth taking it to a vet cause it is fatal.

Back