PDA

View Full Version : Of mites and men (long)

Of mites and men (long)

serpentina
05-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, it's official....my snake has mites. Not too many yet but, it looks like he may go into shed soon (looks dull and eyes look cloudy) I could be wrong about that since I've never seen him shed yet. I've only had him for a week. So, I probably traumatized the poor guy today. I read in Kathy Love's book to soak the snake in water with a little hand soap to kill the mites, then while he was soaking I cleaned his cage out of bedding and wiped everything down with a bleach solution that I got at the pet store (it's called wipe out). Anyway he hated the water, but when I took him out there were dead ones at the bottom of the container he was soaking in. I used a wet wash cloth to kind of rub him down and loosen the few clinging ones. I didn't want to use any chemicals in case he does shed soon (I read it's not good to do that) Before I put him back in I made sure I rinsed everything well and dried it too. My question is what else should I do for this problem? He is my only snake so, I don't have to worry about cross-contamination or anything. Should I wait to see if he sheds soon then use some chemicals or what? What remedies do you all use? Any suggestions or criticisms will be helpful. Thanks!

CMatt2157
05-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Sounds like your doing a good job. I would continue that regiment until the mites are completely gone. Zoo Med makes a product called "mite off". Its a spray that thinly covers the entire snake... suffocating the mites. The problem with that is it doesn't clean the viv. I've also heard of stuff called "Vapona." Go ahead and read up on it.