PDA

View Full Version : do snakes recognise people?

do snakes recognise people?

stevi
04-17-2002, 12:28 PM
:confused: hey can snakes recognise whom you are?as everytime i walk into my room and my snake is crawing round his tank he comes up to the front the glass but when i have him out and i am playing with him and my brother comes along he shoots his head back and looks real angry. does this happen with anyone else? or is it just because my brother smells and my snake dont appreachate it? :)

please reply this is my 1st thread :D

loads of love

stevi :cool:

Simon
04-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by stevi
or is it just because my brother smells and my snake dont appreachate it? [/COLOR] :)

well yes partly because that your brother smells. But what I am talking about is not that he smells bad......but then because your brother smells different compared to you. Snakes have very sensitive smelling devices. Evey little different smell, your snake can reconize it. Your snake has gotten used to the smell that you have already but not your brother. So whenever he comes in, a new smell appears, thus might cause danger to your snake. Thus your snake's reaction is to either hide or be in the attack mode.

If your brother starts handling your snake often enough, it will not be as scared of your brother as now.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Rachel
04-18-2002, 03:47 AM
Ps,
When your brother comes into the room the snake will be picking up the vibrations caused by him walking. This can also scare the snake because we are alot bigger and the snake could mistake your bro as a predator.
Good luck with your snake!
Rachel:D

stevi
04-18-2002, 11:25 AM
i didnt really mean that my brother smelt i was been sarcy but his sent is different to mine so is tat y?
love ya

stevi:D

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
04-19-2002, 09:57 AM
Cornelius is the most people person lover of all our snakes. When Spencer is holding him he wants to get as close to Spencer's face as possible. If someone else is holding him he is ok, until Spencer comes around and then he heads for Spencer's face. We make jokes too, mouse breath and all. and we don't let him actually crawl on Spencer's head but Cornelius has been able to sneak in a few snake kisses. The more snakes you have the more diverse personalities you have to work with. Sam ~~~~~~:~