PDA

View Full Version : falling asleep while eating???

falling asleep while eating???

raquelv
06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
So today I fed my snakes and Jack did something really weird. I give them the pinkies and when I come back like forty minutes later, Jack has still not eaten. The pinkie is dead and he has part of it in his mouth, but he is not moving. At first I though he had died or something, but then I poke him a couple times and he starts moving and eating again. When I come back less than 10 minutes later, he is done. Did he fall asleep or was it something else? :shrugs:

snake5007
06-02-2006, 04:18 PM
are you sure he didn't see your movement and then freeze?

Roy Munson
06-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I've seen corns "pause" for minutes in the middle of eating a prey item. The few instances I've seen have been when the prey item pushed the upper size limit that the snake could handle.

raquelv
06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Well, it was a rat pinkie so it was kind of big. How long do corns usually "pause" while they are easting? Forty minutes seems like a long time to me, but I really don't know.

raquelv
06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, it was a rat pinkie so it was kind of big. How long do corns usually "pause" while they are eating? Forty minutes seems like a long time to me, but I really don't know.

raquelv
06-02-2006, 04:34 PM
sorry I posted that twice, I was trying to fix my spelling!

Roy Munson
06-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, it was a rat pinkie so it was kind of big. How long do corns usually "pause" while they are eating? Forty minutes seems like a long time to me, but I really don't know.They usually don't do it at all. The times I've seen it, it didn't last that long-- anywhere from two to fifteen minutes. But the way you worded your post, it makes it sound like you tossed in the pink, went away, and came back forty minutes later. He may have only been "paused" for a couple of minutes before your return.

Taceas
06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
I was thinking kind of the same thing as Dean, he may not have just been sitting there the entire 40 mins. I've seen some of mine freeze when I walk in the room while they're eating, but never for that long.

If the rat pink was alive when you tossed it in that could help account for the time, as well. I have some snakes that will constrict a food item for 20+ mins before they decide its dead enough to begin eating. For me its an annoyance, as they all eat in separate containers outside their vivs, and when some take their sweet time eating it gets old when I need the containers they're in for other snakes to eat.

raquelv
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I stayed long enough to see him constrict it. Basically he was in the same position when I came back as when I had left. I suppose I found it strange because he is such an aggressive eater. When he constricts he usually starts eating immediately after the pinkie is dead.

CMatt2157
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Some snakes like to constrict and immediately start eating and some love to constrict the lifeless body for an additional amount of time... just to make sure.

My buddy's red tail boa must have constricted this rat for 30 mins before starting to eat.

I wouldn't worry about him being in the same position, It's natural. Your snake will eat when he's ready and comfortable.

raquelv
06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
thanks for all the replies. I find this all very interesting and I am really wondering what Jack will do next time.