PDA

View Full Version : CRYPTO INFO, Please read

CRYPTO INFO, Please read

xXMetalsAngelXx
06-02-2006, 06:53 PM
REPTILIAN CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS

By Ryan Centini

What is cryptosporidiosis? Cryptosporidium is a internal protozoal parasite which is a type of coccidia.

Can humans or other animals get cryptosporidiosis from reptiles? There are eight different species of Cryptosporidium. C. serpentis is the one that affects reptiles and seems only to effect reptiles. C. parvum affects mammals and is the only one known to affect humans. C. parvum can infect suckling mice a reptile that ate a mouse infected with C. parvum although it would not be affected by it, it could pass the oocysts in its feces and under these circumstances could infect a human. However this would really be getting C. parvum from a mouse not C. serpintis from a reptile.

What reptiles can get cryptosporidium? It has been reported in all families of reptiles except crocodilians. Some species seem to be at higher risk of developing the disease than others; cornsnakes, eastern indigo snakes, pine-gopher snakes, (especially albino cornsnakes and pine-gopher snakes), emerald tree boas, boa constrictors, as well as rock rattlesnakes, monocled cobras, and death adders (but I hope these last three are not kept as pets!). Snakes in general seem to be at higher risk than other reptiles. In lizards it has been most commonly seen in Gila monsters, geckoes (especially leopard geckoes), chameleons, monitors, and iguanas. Cryptosporidium has been found in several species of turtles and tortoises. However it does not seem to cause disease in them, they may just be carriers of it. They can transmit it to snakes and lizards though. This is just one good example of why different species of reptiles should not be housed together.

How is Cryptosporidium transmitted? Cryptosporium oocysts are shed in the feces and they are found on regurgitated food. These oocysts can then get on cages, bags, cleaning instruments, water bowls, cage decorations, in the water, and hands. And transmitted to reptiles in other cages. The oocysts can survive for several months in the right conditions (with the fecal matter or with moisture and low temperatures) and are hard to kill (see prevention below). Cryptosporidiosis should be considered as highly contagious and the highest standards in sanitation should be exercised.

What are the signs of cryptosporidiosis? In snakes cryptosporidium is mostly found in the stomach and causes weight loss, regurgitation, and in the later stages gastric hypertrophy (thickening of the stomach wall). In lizards it usually found in the intestines. Where it causes diarrhea, weight loss, and anorexia. There is a report of Cryptosporidium in the kidneys of a iguana and a Parson’s chameleon and the salivary gland of a iguana. There are reports of reptiles that shed the organism but never developed any signs and of reptiles that developed signs but through supportive therapy got better. These seem to be the exception though and most die. There are several diseases that can cause these same signs so LET A VETERINARIAN MAKE THE DIAGNOSES.

Is there a cure for cryptosporidiosis? There are several drugs that have been tried. A lot of them have caused a decrease in the number of oocysts and a few even seem to have stopped the shedding. But these result have been inconsistent. Reptiles that are positive for cryptosporidiosis should be strictly quarantined with separate cleaning instruments or be destroyed.

How is cryptosporidiosis diagnosed? There are a few methods one is to do a acid-fast test on the contents of a stomach wash (this is best done three days after a meal in snakes), the feces, or mucus from regurgitated food. An immunofluorescent antibody (IFA) on the feces. A enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) on the plasma. And a biopsy of the stomach lining this is the most invasive, but can yield good results. With any of these tests a negative does not mean the reptile does not have cryptosporidiosis it just means it was not in that sample. With three negatives you can reasonably sure the reptile does not have it.

Prevention. As mentioned before cryptospridium is very hard to kill. The only known disinfectant that can reasonably be used is household ammonia with 30 minutes of contact. It should only be used in a well-ventilated area. AMMONIA AND BLEACH SHOULD NEVER BE MIXED. A substrate that can be thrown out like newspaper should be used, cage decorations should be plastic so they can be sanitized, wood is difficult to sanitize so should not be used.

Found on at www.indigosnakes.com/Reptilian Crypto.htm

Cryptosporidiosis in Snakes
Cryptosporidiosis is an increasingly diagnosed parasitic infection in reptile collections, particularly in snakes. The course of the disease is unusual since it tends to be self-limiting in immunocompetent bovines, canines, felines, and other species, but can be fatal in its reptilian host. The infection is often insidious in onset, causing irreversible pathological changes before physical signs develop. Clinically healthy, intermittent shedders may become symptomatic years after the parasite is first diagnosed in the animal. Additionally, the affected animal may die acutely, or the clinical disease may take up to two years before killing its host.

The life cycle of Cryptosporidium serpentis is thought to be similar to that of Cryptosporidium parvum,muris, and other species in mammals. Two types of infective stages are produced. The first is a thick-walled oocyst which contains four sporozoites. The oocysts are passed in the feces and remain infective in the environment for months, where they are extremely resistant to temperature extremes and disinfectants. These oocysts are responsible for both infections in new hosts as well as reinfection of the original host. The oocysts are ingested, and the four sporozoites are released. The second stage involves four sporozoites encased not in a thick wall, but rather in a single, thin membrane. This membrane ruptures after breaking out of a host cell, releasing the sporozoites and immediately reinfecting the host animal. In both stages, the sporozoites infect the microvillus border of the gastric glands, and in snakes, lesions are usually localized to the stomach.

The classic presentation of Cryptosporidium serpentis infection in the snake is an animal which regurgitates its meal within four days or less of ingestion. This regurgitation occurs because of decreased gastric lumen size and mucosal irritation. Since the diameter of the stomach has often increased, a noticeable swelling can be visualized and palpated in the mid-body region. The snake may

or may not be anorexic, depending^n how far the disease has progressed. Often, a mucoid diarrhea is noticed.

It is important to differentiate Cryptosporidiosis from other causes of regurgitation and gastritis. Suboptimal temperatures, inappropriate prey size, stress, and foreign body obstructions are other potential causes of regurgitation. Hibernation associated necrotizing gastroenteritis, parasitism from other protozoa and nematodes, viruses, Salmonella and other bacteria can all cause similar signs, but the gastric swelling is pathognomonic for Cryptosporidiosis.

In the living animal, Cryptosporidiosis can be diagnosed by gastric lavage,endoscopic gastric biopsy, fecal smears, and smears of mucous adhered to regurgitated prey items. Since oocysts are intermittently shed, it is recommended that multiple samples be taken. It is important to note that a negative result does not imply that the animal is not infected, only that oocysts may not be present in the particular sample. Acid fast staining is the preferred technique for cytology and fecal preparations, and is easily performed.

Gross lesions include gastric hyperplasia and fibrosis, a decreased diameter of the gastric lumen, and an increased overall diameter of the stomach. Often, the gastric mucosa will be edematous and the rugal folds thickened longitudinally. Additionally, petechial hemorrhage and focal areas of necrosis may be observed.

Histopathologically, the microvillus brush border becomes disrupted as new oocysts burst out of their host cells. The acid secreting cells that line the gastric pits become reduced in number. Mucous secreting cells are hyperplastic, and the mucosa atrophies while the submucosa and musculature becomes fibrotic.Leukocytes may be present in response to the inflammatory process, and the lamina propria may become edematous. The organisms are microscopically visible attached to the epithelial cells of the brush border microvilli. It is recommended that multiple samples of gastric tissue, taken at necropsy, be submitted for histopathology in order to improve the chances of recognizing the organism.

Currently, there is no evidence that Cryptosporidium serpentis is transmissible to humans or other mammals.

References available upon request.

-by David Kolins, Class of 1996

-Edited by M. Randy White, DVM,PhD

Found at http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1996/summer/snakes.shtml

MegF.
06-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Interesting paper. Thanks for posting it; It goes well with the Chrypto thread on this same section.

zwyatt
06-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Good info. I thought I would add a bit about treatment options that may not be common knowledge or easy to find (I haven't tried searching for it on the net).

With my recent crypto problems, I contacted a researcher here at the U of I who works with crypto. He sent me a .pdf of a paper by the 'world's crypto expert' who works at Johns Hopkins (Graczyk).

His (Graczyk's) research shows that treatment with hyperimmune bovine colostrum provides marked improvement of infected snakes. Additionally, further work done here at the University has shown that regular bovine colostrum may be as effective as hyperimmune.

I have the .pdf of the paper by Graczyk regarding treatment of C. serpentis with hyperimmune bovine colostrum, if anyone would ever want/need it.

janew
06-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Good info. I thought I would add a bit about treatment options that may not be common knowledge or easy to find (I haven't tried searching for it on the net).

With my recent crypto problems, I contacted a researcher here at the U of I who works with crypto. He sent me a .pdf of a paper by the 'world's crypto expert' who works at Johns Hopkins (Graczyk).

His (Graczyk's) research shows that treatment with hyperimmune bovine colostrum provides marked improvement of infected snakes. Additionally, further work done here at the University has shown that regular bovine colostrum may be as effective as hyperimmune.

I have the .pdf of the paper by Graczyk regarding treatment of C. serpentis with hyperimmune bovine colostrum, if anyone would ever want/need it.
I would love that .pdf please!

Thanks very much, very useful and valuable information.

zwyatt
06-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I would love that .pdf please!

Thanks very much, very useful and valuable information.

It's .8MB, so not very big. I can email it or find a host online where you can dl it from. If you want it emailed just PM me your email address of choice.:)

Edited to clarify: Anyone interested can PM me, so this thread doesn't get cluttered. Thanks :)

Coldvaper
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if Bovine Treatment works? If so how can I obtain the medication and apply it to my animal?

Shiari
06-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Who diagnosed your snake with crypto, and where/whom did you get it from?

Coldvaper
06-05-2013, 10:52 PM
It hasn't been 100% diagnosed my vet took a regurgitated rat pinkie and tested it not to mentioned tested stool samples and blood samples and came back negative. Everything I have read says that even if that all comes back negative she could still have it. My vet also said it might be cancer too. All we know is the walls of the stomach have thickened and her belly is swollen. We put her on an intense anti biotic regiment since her test did come back with that. After a few weeks she was able to keep food down again. It's been a couple of months though and her stomach still hasn't seemed to start going back to normal.

As to wear I got it, my ex girlfriend acquired her at a expo a couple of years ago and when we broke up I took over care of the animal.

Shiari
06-05-2013, 11:19 PM
So she's an adult then? Normally once the swelling appears they go downhill rapidly if it's crypto. The fact that she's able to keep food down again is also unusual for crypto.

Coldvaper
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Supposedly she was 7 years old when we got her. I have had two years so she's about 9 or 10 if they were telling the truth. I was hoping their would be a pretty harmless treatment for crypto like the above to try so I can at least treat her and see if the stomach lining will return to normal. Any ideas, I am open, I don't like to give up.

Shiari
06-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I believe the bovine treatment is pretty much cost prohibitive. I would stick with the antibiotics for now, and get a tape measure that reads in millimeters and measure her girth every week over that swelling.

I had a snake with crypto (and ended up culling 13 of my animals to see how far it had spread... 'fortunately' it hadn't) and he regurged, swelled up, and looked on death's door after just a week. He was, admittedly, also a hatchling so they go downhill faster.

You might try contacting U.C. Davis to see if they know of any teaching hospitals running a study on the bovine treatment option and if so, seeing if you might be able to enroll your snake. It would, likely, require an actual positive diagnosis though which could be done via something like a gastric lavage (still not 100%) or an actual biopsy of the stomach.

Coldvaper
06-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Do you know how or who to contact? I am afraid to take a biopsy because she is weak. My vet did mention a gastric lavauge but said the regurgitated prey item is just as good but she may decide to still do it after the next ultra sound. Getting pretty expensive already, lol.

Shiari
06-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't know who exactly to contact, unfortunately. I do wish you luck with her. If she does pass, I recommend a necropsy and sending out the stomach to check for the actual presence of crypto.

Coldvaper
06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I will be doing that if she does go. I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I rather she not pass.

Coldvaper
06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I had her euthanized today, thanks for those who took the time to help.

Shiari
06-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. ;_;

*hugs*

Coldvaper
06-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks Megan, super bummed she was an awesome snake never a bite from her.

WestCoast_Redneck
06-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear she didn't make it :( However, huge props to you for doing everything in your power for her. Wishin' you all the best x

loyalsissaly84
06-09-2013, 11:50 AM
This is a great disinfectant cleaner too. I bought this when i use to foster kittens back to back. Its called trifectant.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1939&pictureid=14160
Once a month i do a full cleaning with this cleaner, i leave it on for about 15 mins then rinse, but every week i do a vinager wash too.

DragonsDenSerpents
06-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your girl. :( I lost one of mine to crypto and it was heartbreaking to lose her.