PDA

View Full Version : mite question...I already used "search"

mite question...I already used "search"

danigurrl
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
My friend's snake has mites, and she doesn't have the internet so I offered to do the research for her for treatments. We ordered "Prevent-a-Mite", but we were looking for other options. The mites aren't too bad, I only saw a couple on the snake. We cleaned out the viv, sprayed it all down with cleaner until the Prevent-a-Mite comes in.

Now my question is about the bathing with mild soup and the olive oil. How often do you suggest bathing the snake in lukewarm water (I have a thermometer to check water temp.) Every other day? Once a day? Twice a day? This seems to keep the mites in check very well.

We've been bathing the snake once a day, then rubbing olive oil on him (I read about doing that in some other thread...) She also put vaseline all around the edges of the viv.

jazzgeek
06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Now my question is about the bathing with mild soup and the olive oil.Yeah, you don't want to use anything too spicy, like a minestrone; a diluted broth would be the best soup. ;)
How often do you suggest bathing the snake in lukewarm water (I have a thermometer to check water temp.) Every other day? Once a day? Twice a day? This seems to keep the mites in check very well.
Bear in mind that there are many, many more mites than are visible. That being the case, until the remedy arrives, I'd devote more effort to cleaning the viv. Clean it at least once a day, and use a "bare minimum" setup (e.g., paper towel substrate, etc.).

Good luck in your efforts.

regards,
jazz

MegF.
06-06-2006, 12:08 AM
LOL Jazz! I would bathe the snake maybe once a day and use the oil. Clean the viv everyday as well using a diluted bleach or straight novalsan mixture.