PDA

View Full Version : Snake Not Eating! Please Help!

Snake Not Eating! Please Help!

KazeChan
06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Hello, my name is Kaze.
My friend's got a snake that has been having issues. Basically, it has not been eating for at least 7 1/2 weeks!

Heres the details!

Name: Tawny
Type: Corn Snake
Condition: Appears in everyway to be healthy, except for that its not eating
And Tawny has not eaten for 7 1/2 weeks

Tried Feeding- Mice, both alive and dead

Tawny had only killed the live snake, and not touched it at all.

Please, if you can, post and let me know..my friend is very upset, and freaking out right now...

Thank You!

~~Kazey

Here are some pictures: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/KazeChan89/June05ToFeb.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/KazeChan89/Tawny.jpg

KazeChan
06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I ment Tawny had only killed the mouse, not touched it, sorry!

BeckyG
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Tawny might be a male. Many males go off feed during breeding season. This is perfectly normal, and if he is not losing a significant amount of weight, I wouldn't worry.

Easy to say, I know, but harder to do. My almost 2 year old male ate Friday for the first time since March 24th. It was such a relief! As much as I preach not worrying, I find it hard to put into practice.

KazeChan
06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Tawny might be a male. Many males go off feed during breeding season. This is perfectly normal, and if he is not losing a significant amount of weight, I wouldn't worry.

Easy to say, I know, but harder to do. My almost 2 year old male ate Friday for the first time since March 24th. It was such a relief! As much as I preach not worrying, I find it hard to put into practice.

Thank you sooo much! ^_^ I'll let my friend know this as soon as possible! =D

Roy Munson
06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Yep, Becky. I just had a 2.5-3y.o. male eat after fasting since March 3rd. I have a 4 year old that hasn't eaten since March 9th, and he just refused again yesterday. I don't know what to do to convince him that breeding season is truly over for him this year. :grin01:

BeckyG
06-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Sigh...if only we could convince them that they really CAN eat and mate in the same week. After all, you men do it, why can't snakes? :grin01:

NagaWarrior
06-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I actually just had the same problem with my female corn. I took her to the vet and it turned out her follicles had become enlarged to the point that her ovaries were constricting her stomach. She just had a hysterectomy today and is OK now :). I would suggest that Tawny go to your local herp vet to get checked out.

MegF.
06-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Was this a genetic problem or just a temporary one that would have resolved itself after she went thru ovulation. It's not uncommon for females to get large follicles and not be able to eat large meals, but I haven't heard of someone spaying a female because of it....My gravid female refused food for most of her pregnancy..

NagaWarrior
06-06-2006, 09:57 PM
The vet said that they were abnormally large and they had been this way for almost two months when they decided to spay her. I normally work with mammals and don't know a ton about reptiles, so I just go with the vet on that stuff (although I hope to become an exotics vet, which means I will learn more!)

MegF.
06-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Sounds like they were just abnormal and the hysterectomy was probably the best way to go. Hope your girl recovers quickly and good luck on your quest to be an exotic vet. We need more of them!

NagaWarrior
06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks! She is recovering quite well and seems quite happy now.

2kxtra
06-30-2006, 01:34 AM

This is somewhat encouraging as I'm searching/reading about snakes not eating. Mine's going on about 6 weeks now and I'm starting to get a little concerned. She (presumably, thought even the previous owner wasn't 100% certain of the sex) is about 5 years old now.

My snake has been generally eating about 2-3 mice every couple of weeks for a couple of years with ocassional periods of non-eating but hasn't gone beyond a month before. I've even seen her at the last feeding attempt a week ago (roughly a week after her last shed) make a half-hearted attempt at a strike but then pulled away and didn't try again. She's usually an efficient and ruthless hunter. She was always fed live mice when I got her, and being the 3rd owner I figured I'd stick with what she knows.

At what point should one say "enough of this" and take them to the vet?

MegF.
07-01-2006, 07:12 AM
I would wait longer than a month. My male routinely goes off food for 2-3 months during breeding season. If you aren't certain, she could be a he. Mine surprised me! An adult can go quite some time without food. I would try f/t anyway at some point. I've never had a snake refuse, even long time live fed animals.