PDA

View Full Version : Lump Still Visible

Lump Still Visible

MetalAbrahm
06-14-2006, 05:40 AM
It's been 4 days since I've fed my Charlie Blue-Horse and the lump is still visible. Should I be worried? Check out these pics...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/Metalabrahm/DSC00766.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/Metalabrahm/DSC00769.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/Metalabrahm/DSC00771.jpg

My co-worker told me that his corn did not lose the lump after a few days and it just died on him. I'm worried now. Last week he pulled the pinkie out of the dish and onto the substrate. If he ingested some is that a problem?

djreaction3001
06-14-2006, 08:19 AM
How are your temperatures? Diegestion could be a problem if your tems are too low.

diamondlil
06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Has he pooped yet? It may be hard to tell on that substrate so you could consider taking it out and using paper towels so you can monitor his stools. Then if nothing comes out in the next couple of days you will know and be able to act upon it. I have seen threads recommending a little swim for reptiles to help them pass small impactions, but I have only used it on our first leopard gecko.
(If you start the habit of feeding in a seperate container, you'll avoid further problems :) )

MetalAbrahm
06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Could you elaborate on the swim, please?

MetalAbrahm
06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
And yes he has pooped. But I have no idea what the poop schedule is. The substrate is a bit of a problem because I can't really see them unless they're in front of my face.

razorback
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Fill your bathtub with water, remember warm water to your touch could be scalding to a snakes...I suggest keeping the temp of the water around room temp or so..then let the snake swim around some. It might loosen up something. However, from the pics that you have provided...I would double check my warm side temps, and make sure they are in the range of 79 to 85f. Also, if you are feeding frozen thawed pinkies, try cutting a couple of slices (with a razorblade) along the back of the pinkie before feeding them to your snake. This can help substantially with digestion. Here's hoping for the best.

dwyn127
06-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mess with him yet. I hope this isn't the case, but when my 1st snake still had a lump after 4 days, it was followed by a regurg.

Normally after 2 days, they tend to look somewhat swelled from the stomach to the vent as they are digesting their food, so I would definately keep an eye on him. If the lump suddenly disappears, check to viv for an undigested or partially digested mouse and as suggested above, check warm side temps to provide a hide in the mid 80's.

Good luck.

MetalAbrahm
06-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the answers, guys. It's now 12:23 am on Thursday. Lump is still there.
I have a hide on both the warm and cool side. The cool side is anwhere from 70-75 at all times. Then there's the warm side which is 79 to 89 depending on time of day as I have a light on that side for 9 hours or so. Inside the warm-side hide I'm sure it's around 85-90 at all times due to the heat from the pad underneath.
It's hard to tell from the pics, but it seems that the lump is too far to be regurgitated. Is it still possible? I just tried to let him swim a little, but it was unsuccessful. I brought him close to the water, he took some slurps and then tried to slither up my arm. Then I tried a little force by nudging him towards the water. He stopped moving as to say "Let me think about it", then covered my finger with some musk. Maybe that's a good sign?!

PnyKlr
06-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Which side, cool or warm, does your snake seem to prefer right now? I am assuming that since your heat pad is at 85-90 that it is controlled by a rheostat. This sounds a bit hot for the warm side. Knock the temp down to 80-85 for the warm side.

I am still fairly new at this *had snakes for only 6 months), so if there is a particular reason the temps are up that high, I apologize!

MetalAbrahm
06-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Well, he always switches it up. He goes everywhere. As for the heat, it's merely an under-tank mat going 24/7. Then I have an 9 hour period with the light.
I'm really new at having a snake as well. I received it as a birthday gift a few months back. I've always wanted a snake and so it was a pleasant suprise.

diamondlil
06-16-2006, 02:05 AM
I have to say...............Charlie Blue-Horse is a brilliant name!

MetalAbrahm
06-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Thank you. I'll tell you the story or where I got it. There was this strange guy I went to high school with named Abe. He was a good friend of mine, but very strange. Anyhoo, his ID card said "Abe CBH Literal". He told us all it was a typo. Then during commencement they said his full name. Abraham Charlie Blue-Horse Literal. Everyone was astonished. More fuel for his strangeness, but a name worthy of naming a serpent after.

MetalAbrahm
06-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Oh yeah... what about my Charlie Blue-Horse?! The lump has diminished quite a bit. His tail end as a whole is getting plump. I feed him once a week as told. Maybe he's just getting bigger. After the little scare, is it a good idea to continue with the feeding schedule?