• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

It's Enough To Break Your Heart

BeckyG

Making it up as I go
I found this beautiful snake DOR. Does anyone know what it is? The whole snake is a dark grey, with a bluish sheen to it. Its belly was solid white. It was about 4 feet long.

100_2511.jpg

DORcloseup.jpg

@$%(*% Why can't I ever find them alive?

my guess is a king snake,or a black snake but I've never seen a king,or black with that blue tint.I wounder what happen to it.

It looks like it was hit by a car. I wonder if it's a type of water snake. I know it's dead, but it's body does have that wide look like some water snakes have for bouyancy.

At first glance, it looked like a Blue Racer, but I don't think they range as far south as Mississippi. Might be a Black Racer that has been dead for a while :shrugs:

It was hit by a car, so was flattened a bit. It was pretty fresh as there was no smell and it wasn't there Thursday. I found it Saturday evening. It was originally in the middle of the road, but I moved it to the side so it wouldn't get squished any more before I could run home and get my camera. This is the 4th big snake I've found dead on my road this year.

I know it isn't a king snake. I first thought a blue racer as well. If only my library book on Snakes of the South hadn't been due back already I could look it up. Oh, well, gonna google a bit...I'll get back with you on it...

Except that Indigos are not native to this area...

Besides they are an endangered species. I wouldn't be bragging about catching them seeing as it's illegal to do so.

oh did i say catching them oh srry i was just thinking about the corn snake i just caught lol. I've never caught one but I have seen a few in a park that i live nearby. Their so skiddish if I get like 10 feet from one poof!!! their gone. lol

Definately not an indigo snake. It is a black racer, no doubt about it. Especially the color of the chin. The indigo snake as a red chin and a bigger head. It looks like a typical black racer to me.

lazer said:
no guys its a indigo snake ive caught sooooooooo many i would know what they look like

Eastern Indigo Snake.... FTW

I wouldn't admit to catching them either. They are are classified as "threatened".

I am little late to this thread.

Samuraibill said:
Eastern Indigo Snake.... FTW

I wouldn't admit to catching them either. They are are classified as "threatened".

I am little late to this thread.

Oh and black racers are solid black to extremely dark grey. Its the blue tint that gives it away. they are also the largest snake in the US reaching lengths up to 9 feet. I would love to see one up close.

Back