PDA

View Full Version : help please rich

help please rich

drizzt_19
10-28-2002, 08:39 PM
hi rich,
iwas wondering if you could help me with a problem. ok here it goes. i bought an anery motley/stripe hatchling at a show in hamburg ,pa about two weeks ago. when i got home i noticed that she had a green tint on her belly where it is usally white. her sibling that i also purchased does not have this green tint. i took her to vet cause i thought it was a infection or a fungus but the vet said it was not either of the above. i posted in the misc. section and so far have not gotten much help i was hoping that you could tell me what you think. i didnt know if the hatclings had a green tint when born or not. any help will be appreicated.

thanks for your time,
Gregg (drizzt)

Rich Z
10-28-2002, 10:05 PM
This brings up an interesting topic.

Let's say I go to a Ford dealer and buy a brand new Ford. When I get it home, it starts acting up a few days later, so I call the local Chevy dealer, describe the symptoms, and ask them what's wrong with my car.

I go to Sears and buy a new refrigerator, and a week or so later it begins to make a funny noise. So I get on the phone and call the local Maytag dealership and describe the symptoms to them and ask if they could offer some advice.

Or I buy a hamburger from McDonald's and when I get home, I find that it is smelling funny, so I take it to Hardy's to ask them if they would take a look at it.

So what's wrong with the above scenarios?

And are they similar to the situation in the first message in this thread? Here I have someone whom bought a snake from someone else, and instead of making sure they knew whom they bought it from and then contacting them about it, instead I am being asked to offer my time and effort to tell them what could possibly be wrong with an animal that they spent their money on from someone else.

Honestly folks, I really wish I could spread myself all over the planet and help everyone with their problems, but quite honestly, it just isn't possible. So I have to limit myself and draw lines in the sand to indicate where my responsibility ends, and someone else's begins. If someone wants to buy animals from someone at a show, then make sure you know how to contact them about a problem. If the person won't give you this information then strongly consider making your purchase elsewhere. If you have a problem, the person you BOUGHT it from is the one you should contact about it.

If the animals are purchased from some no name, bargain basement breeder because you can get them cheaper then buying from a well known breeder, then you have to bear the consequences if things go wrong for you. I provide a 30 day health guarantee for my animals, which also includes help with questions and guidance as necessary. Unfortunately, that does not cover animals purchased from someone else.

Sorry if this sounds like one of my infamous rants, but you would be astonished at the number of emails I get like this. Usually, however, they begin like "I bought this corn snake at a local pet shop..........."

Gregg, I am not picking on you in particular, it's just that I have had this happen time and time again, and now while I am sitting at the computer waiting for my frozen pinkies to warm up sufficiently so I can start feeding some babies, this seems an appropriate time and place to bring up something that has been bugging me for a long time.

In your particular case, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Could be any number of things. Wait until the animal sheds it's skin and then take a look at the belly. It could have been on some sort of substrate that stained the belly scales, or even the dampness of the substrate itself affected the coloration of the belly scutes. Keep it clean and dry and see if it clears up after the next shed.

Good luck!

drizzt_19
10-29-2002, 02:22 PM
thank you rich i didnt buy friom a no name dealer i bought it from a guy who owns a pet shop and breeds corns. the store is called reptile canyon. when i asked him about it he told me that it was the only one in the clutch like that. he said he had never seen it before.that is why i thought i would ask you.thanks for your time and help. i was hoping it was something simple. thanks for your time.

p.s. i understand what you said and i did not take it as any picking i just sat down and thought about it, and you were right the breeder shouldve been able to answer my questions but obviously 5 years breeding corns tends not to give enough experience. thanks again

gregg

Rich Z
10-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Oh, that was Paul and Sue Grimes you got it from. They're good people and take good care of their animals. If it was like that from hatching, it may be something neat to play with. I think there are a whole slew of new genes out there that we haven't stumbled on, or recognized yet.

Good luck!

drizzt_19
10-29-2002, 03:06 PM
maybe it is something new too play with ill guess il find out in a couple years when i breed her to my male anery.
i hoped they were good people. they seemed nice an answered all of my other questions. thanks for your reply

gregg

Warren
10-30-2002, 04:04 AM
Hi Gregg,

My name is Warren. I was reading the thread above and thought I would offer up some thoughts that may help. Now first off, I am no vet. Just a small time breeder who has been working w/ snakes since 1978.
Is the snake w/ the green spot eating? While I have seen some snakes die shortly after eating, the fact that they are eating is USUALLY a good way of telling that they are doing okay.
It is good that you have already taken him to the vet. In your post you said the vet said it was not a fungus or infection. Did the vet say anything at all as to what he thought it might be?
Now, not knowing what your knowlege and experience w/ snakes is, I would like to offer one bit of advice. Make sure the floor temps in your snakes cage is around 78-83 degrees. You don't want to go above 85 to much as this can stress out your snake. BUT, if you can get it to the low 80's it will help your snake deal w/ his problem.(IF he indeed has any problems at all.),(and if someone tells you to put in a heat rock - DON'T!! Heat rocks can cause a burn on the snake.)
Well, I hope I have been able to help you in some way. If you have any other questions feel free to email me if you wish. I'll be glad to help in any way that I can.

Take care!!
Warren