PDA

View Full Version : severe dehydration?

severe dehydration?

hyperion12
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
After coming back from a week's vacation, our 2006 reverse okeetee has no interest in eating and is extremely lethargic. She ate 2 small pinks just before we left, but her water dish was dry when we got back. It couldn't have been dry for more than a couple of days.

Last night after giving her water she seemed to perk up, but this morning she's been laying on the bottom of the tank (she usually perches on branches) and barely responds to being held.

Is dehydration the most likely reason for this? She's going in to our snake guy today...

Thanks!

zwyatt
06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm not an expert and have no way of guessing what is or isn't wrong with the snake. Two days doesn't sound like severe dehydration, but as I said, I'm in no place to make that call.

Not the one to feel the need in pointing out the obvious, but someone has to be the first to do it...This whole situation begs the question of why you would ever allow this circumstance to transpire in the first place? Doesn't one forsee that water evaporates and with nobody filling up the dish it may go dry?

I know it may not seem like a major thing, because the snake is still alive but responsibility is important. Irresponsible actions is what causes harm to our pets.

This isn't meant to be a personal attack on you and I hope it isn't perceived as such. I just hope that anyone reading this thinks twice before having a lapse of judgement. One day it's water, but the next it could be something more serious.

Edited to add: That after making an initial mistake, you're doing the right thing by taking the situation seriously and having the snake looked at to figure out what may be wrong. :)

Cycal
06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
When was the last time the snake shed?

hyperion12
06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
When was the last time the snake shed?

about three weeks ago.

Candachan
06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Maybe you should let her soak in her water bowl if you think she's dehydrated.

hyperion12
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
We soaked her in her water bowl last night (she perked up a lot and was cruising her cage like normal, but no tongue flicking), and again this morning. This morning's soak really had no affect on her.

She's been a fantastic and very aggressive eater since we got her in March, but she really hasn't been putting on weight. She's been shedding regularly, but there isn't a noticeable weight gain like our other snake (but he's a creamsicle) or friend's snakes, really. Her feces have all been normal too.

I'm not convinced that it's only dehydration that's keeping her down. Her skin is still tight and firm. She's also not a regular drinker. So being without water for a couple of days shouldn't have such a serious impact on her behavior, but then again, I mostly work with mammals and herp behavior and health is something I'm still learning.

MegF.
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
If she's due to shed, some of the behavior could be that. Signs of dehydration in a snake are wrinkled skin, although when they are nearing shed, it could look the same. Severe dehydration can cause kidney damage. You might want to have her looked over by a vet. I can't imagine just 2 days of water would do it, but you never know. Could the water spilled before then?

hyperion12
06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
It could be that she's due to shed, but this isn't her typical pre-shedding behavior. She always is perched on a log at the top of her viv...she can't even climb it now. Also, I don't think that the water bowl spilled--it's heavy and nothing else was around to shake the viv.

We'll have to see what the vet says.

Thanks, all.