PDA

View Full Version : Microscopes.. Need information for fecals

Microscopes.. Need information for fecals

dawnrenee2000
06-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I would like to purchase a microscope and learn how to do my own fecal exams. From searching, i read a little bit in another post, but it was from several years ago.

1. I need some leads on exactly what I need in a microscope to be able to do good fecal exams
2. What kind of solutions would I need to mix the slides and to do floats with ?
3. Also is there a chart somewhere of reptile parasites that could give me some information on my findings?

Thanks for any information you may have.

Dawn

SevierSerpents
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Once expanded on, this would be a great sticky.

Piper
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I did a quick google & these 2 books are recommended for info on fecal floats / smears & detailed parasite info.

Understanding Reptile Parasites: A Basic Manual for Herpetoculturists & Veterinarians (Herpetocultural Library) (Paperback)
Paperback: 81 pages
Publisher: Advanced Vivarium Systems (June 1, 1997)
Language: English
ISBN: 1882770218
Product Dimensions: 0.2 x 5.8 x 8.8 inches
Shipping Weight: 5.60 ounces
Cost $8.95 new at Amazon.com

Book Description - No one who keeps reptiles can afford to be ignorant about reptile parasites and their treatment. This best-selling, easy-to-use book offers readers essential information on how to identify the most common parasites of reptiles and how to most effectively treat them. Includes drug charts and dosages. Highly recommended for hobbyists and pet stores. Illustrated with many black and white photos. 83 pp

Reptile Medicine and Surgery (Hardcover) by Douglas R. Mader (Editor), Geoff Stein (Illustrator)
Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: W.B. Saunders Company; 1st edition (January 15, 1996)
Language: English
ISBN: 0721652085
Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 8.7 x 1.1 inches
Shipping Weight: 4.22 pounds
Cost $99.00 at Amazon.com

Link describing how to do the floats with photos of Parasite Eggs/Oocysts at 100x and 400x magnification. *disclaimer* it's a website for goats, but has good step by step instructions & list of supplies needed.
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm

Piper
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Fecaltest.html
Another link for DIY testing, this link describes costs of equipment needed.

I haven't found good photos of snake parasites, someone else needs to find those :) Hope these links help you.

dawnrenee2000
06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
I just met with my vet who has given me a contact number of who to call to get the info charts that they use and the vets office is also willing to teach me about doing the floats and fecals once I get my microscope. So the search today has been productive thus far!