PDA

View Full Version : Regurges, evenafter six days?! Plse advice.

Regurges, evenafter six days?! Plse advice.

SnakeAround
06-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm worried about Poing. Todays was his third regurge, though he kept in the meal before this one (given 10 days after the previous regurge). So the 2 before that one where regurgitated too. But this third one has been given 6 days ago!!! He also had a weird poo (like thin paste) and a not too well digested but pretty normal poo in between. The regurge looks like a very thin, brown discolored mouse with a digested head. How is this possible after 6 days? I had the stool checked today (before I saw the regurge) and they found nothing in it?! So should I be worried about about a bacterial or maybe even viral infection? :shrugs: I'm so worried..... I did have some problems with temps last few days, and I think the first regurge could have been caused by a slightly too high temp 3 weeks ago, but though maybe fluctuating, temps have been in a good range since. There has always been a cool side, though warm side might have been slightly too warm.

My blue beauty also has some digestial problems; regurge and some 'liver mousse like', very stinky poo (about 10 days ago), the regurge looked like the inside had been digested and the 'jacket' had been regurged. I only found the regurge today, cause it was pretty dry, burrowed and hardly smelling, but since I assumed she had only had the weird poo, I did give her her regular rat after 6 days (last Friday), which she started to eat but seemingly halfway threw up again (I left her with it and the next day it was there, but half of it was slimy and even some of it was brown already). It had not been in completely. She lays in the most cool part of her viv all day, which is around 75 F only.... she does not hang out on branches in the warm areas as she usually does....

My gopher also regurged a coupl eof days ago, but his viv had gotten pretty warm (90 F).... He did have a regular poo also :shrugs:

I also had the poo checked of the blue beauty and the gopher and nothing was found in it... should I go and try to get aal 3 of them antibio from the vet or does anyone have other suggestions? Temps are ok now.... :shrugs:

jzal8
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
That is an interesting situation. Are you using something like nutribac with them? Perhaps that will give them the kick they need to get over this odd hump. Not sure if that is what you meant when you said antibio.

Nutribac would be my first suggestion i guess.

SnakeAround
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
I start today with Nutribac; mixed with water and put in with a syriinge.. maybe every other day would be a good idea? I'll call the specialized vet tomorrow, he was not there today and did not do the test, to ask him what to do; if I should get antibiotics or try with Nutribac first...

Roy Munson
06-27-2006, 04:53 PM
The temp swings could be the culprit, Barbara. I've seen full and partial regurges and 'liver-mousse' crap (great term, btw) result from temp problems that I wasn't aware of.

You might also have a bad batch of feeders. :shrugs:

razorback
06-27-2006, 05:07 PM
The temp swings could be the culprit, Barbara. I've seen full and partial regurges and 'liver-mousse' crap (great term, btw) result from temp problems that I wasn't aware of.

You might also have a bad batch of feeders. :shrugs:

Sounds to me like it might be heat related. I had very similar problems to the ones that you have described when my temps were too high. I purchased temp regulators for each of my setups and have never had a corn with a digestive problem since (knock on wood). I think you would know if you had a bad batch of feeders, although it's not always obvious at first..smell is a huge factor.

SnakeAround
06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Since the feeders are from different sources, I don't think that is the problem.... So you think stable temps and maybe some Nutribac might do the trick? Unfortunately some hot days are comin' up.... Since I don't use thermostats (worked well for owning 2 vivs and never felt there was a reason to change it), I have to measure temps and change wattage of lamps or put them off to regulate, which does cause temp fluctuations. Buying thermostats for all vivs is a big investment now, besides that, the room with vivs is now hotter then last year, because of all the vivs in it... if outside temps gonna be around 86 this week, in the room air temp will be 81-82, so lights will have to be switched off... couple of days later, it is 63 and they have to be put on... in between some fluctuations happen as you can understand...

dionythicus
06-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't have thermostats either. I do morning, afternoon and nightly temp checks in the snake room. We just had a hot weekend and I had to use two large fans to help cool the room. I know how the temps tend to fluctuate in that room so I can keep on top of when lights should be on or off. I hope you get it under control. Keep us posted.

jenkva
07-01-2006, 08:04 AM
I am sorry to hear that Poing is not better and that your other "beauties" are also regurgitating... :cry:

I have a suggestion for you:
You know I have put Freya in a new viv and I still have her old viv (you know how it is). What we could do if you want and the size is appropriate for Poing (as he is the smallest), we could get a temp regulator and I could foster him for a little while to see if it makes any difference? :shrugs:
You would just need to bring the things from his viv, i.e: hide and stuff.
What do you think?

Let me know as you are coming on the 29th...