PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

What to do?

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Basically I'm looking for opinions on this....either euthanize, or keep trying.

I got this lavender male last year, and the snake simply doesn't grow. The original ID on the deli cup said 2002, which I didn't realize until later---and that's having the biggest impact on my decision right now.

The snake is 40-50grams, and I really don't think it's done much growing in the year that I've had it. I've been feeding it fuzzies from TMF for about 2 months in an attempt for the thing to put on weight, but....it keeps upchucking food. IMO, a 45gram snake shouldn't have problems eating a 6-7 gram fuzzy. When it finally does keep a meal down, it occasionally appears to get 'backed up' and then will proceed to crap out a big wad of spiraled hair.

It's pretty obvious that this snake has zero business breeding, and I don't want it. I have other lavenders and this is just a waste of my time. Problem is, I'm really not sure that I'm even comfortable offering this snake up for sale as 'pet only'. I'd really feel like an a-hole offering up a snake as pet only that looks like a yearling. And, I really don't have time for a snake like this---it's just not worth it to me. I have a similar case with a hypo blood, but she doesn't regurge and she's slowly making progress, so I'm a bit more willing to work with her.

So, if you were in this situation, what would you do? I suppose it's somewhat cruel to euthanize a snake that isn't dying, but I mean, what else is there to do? Pawn this thing off on someone else so they can have the same problems? I know that if I offer it for sale/giveaway as pet only, someone is going to think "I can turn that snake-around". That's my other problem---I'd rather euthanize the snake than have someone try to get it to breeding size to pass along those crappy genes.

So, opinions?

Roy Munson
06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
I'd try to re-home it if there were opportunities to do so. It would be nice if you could find someone who truly understands why this snake should not be allowed to reproduce. Even if you didn't, there's always the possibility that the snake would never get large enough to be a feasible breeder. And even if it did attain proper size, there is still a chance that its problems aren't hereditary. :shrugs:

carol
06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
I'd euthanize to protect the rest of your collection. Who knows if it is something that could be spread to the rest of them. If you sell it off then whoever buys it also puts their other animals at risk. It's better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't believe it 'has' anything, I just think it's a retarded faulty snake. Something is obviously wrong with it's metabolism and degestive tract. And I simply refuse to feed a 45-50gram snake pinkies.

vanderkm
06-29-2006, 02:13 PM
In my opinion it is not cruel to euthanize an animal that is not thriving. Failure to thrive is an indication of an underlying condition - whether inherent, infectious or of unknown cause - that is not normal. Normal animals provided with quality husbandry and nutritious food will develop, grow and ultimately reproduce. I have, and will continue to, killed snakes that I purchased or bred when they chronically regurgitate, don't feed well or don't grow. I consider that to be responsible husbandry and care for the species that I work with, as well as what is best for a 'defective' individual.

I know there will be others who disagree - good luck with your decision,

mary v.

Candachan
06-29-2006, 02:33 PM
I think rehoming it would be a good option, to someone who wouldn't try to breed and know it was a snake with problems. But, as said earlier, if the snake has no quality of life, it would be best to euthanize it.

Hurley
06-29-2006, 02:36 PM
In my opinion, there is no wrong in euthanizing that animal. Failing to thrive like it is indicates something is wrong, either it can't digest properly or there's a problem with food making through the tract, or whatever, but something is wrong. I also think it would be wrong to pass that snake off to someone else as there is not a very good chance it'll go on to thrive and will probably eventually "suddenly die". Now, if someone were to want to give it a chance as a pet, understanding the small potential of something infectious being a problem and taking proper precautions, I wouldn't mind giving it to a fully-informed person, but I'd be more likely to euthanize it, quite honestly.

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Well my thought before was to euthanize, and so far I haven't heard any overwhelming reason not to.

So, how would you go about euthanizing? Fridge to freezer?

cornsnakekid92
06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
You could, just give it to me, i would not breed it, and now that my mice are breeding i have tons a pinks:). I would rather give it away to someone who has the time to deal with giving it pinkies. you just need to find the right person, if they do not come along then you do not have many options.

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
You could, just give it to me, i would not breed it, and now that my mice are breeding i have tons a pinks:). I would rather give it away to someone who has the time to deal with giving it pinkies. you just need to find the right person, if they do not come along then you do not have many options.

The point is the snake hasn't grown in a year, and if in fact it is a 2002, it hasn't grown much at all in 4 years. I really don't feel comfortable giving away a snake that most likely will just drop dead at some point in the future.

mike17l
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
fridge to freezer would be a good choice, as would corn snake tub to king snake tub

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
If I had a kingsnake I probably would, but I don't. One of those is on the list for next year---I need a slug and problem feeder disposal.

mike17l
06-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Ah yes, Getula kings, God's gift to cornsnake breeders. I have three. Two Californias and a Florida. There great. I recommend one or two for anybody that is even thinking of breeding corns. Untill then, fridge to freezer would be best. 30 minuts in the fridge then move to the freezer. You can keep it forzen untill you get a king and then have some king food.

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I will be picking up an adult florida king later in the year for just that purpose. Unfortunately, none of the other king species really do much for me. :shrugs:

Serpwidgets
06-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I had a beautifully patterned granite that did the same... he would eat great, and then go into spurts of regurging and getting extremely thin. He was almost 3 years old and only 40 grams. We put him down when he started yet another regurge cycle earlier this year. :cry:

Euthanizing is not cruel... the snake does not suffer from "being dead." :santa:

Mine go fridge -> freezer -> kingsnake.

Since it's unknown why it is not thriving, I wouldn't risk passing that on to the king.

Joejr14
06-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Euthanasia is complete.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Traci1
06-29-2006, 05:38 PM
sorry you had to do that Joe, but it was the right thing.

Candachan
06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
I also agree that it was the right decision for the snake's wellbeing. :)

SnakeCreations
06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. For the record, I think it was the right thing to do as well.

-Tonya

janew
06-30-2006, 04:11 AM
Sorry to hear you had to go this route, Joe, I know it can't have been an easy decision. However, I too agree you did the right thing in the circumstances. Kudos to you for having the courage to do it.

diamondlil
06-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Bad luck, but at least it's over now, best thing you could do