PDA

View Full Version : Question on new baby corn....

Question on new baby corn....

Mina
06-30-2006, 09:07 AM
My brand new baby cornsnake is still with the breeder, it is 12 days old as of today, and has refused the first meal offered. Should I worry yet, or is it to early? How long does it take new babies to start eating well?

Traci1
06-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Yep it's too early to worry yet. My first clutch this year took about 10 days before they even shed for the first time. It's super when they accept the first meal offered, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Plus some will only take live pinks at first, or scented with other prey items. Ideally we want them to eat unscented f/t mice pinks but many times they have other ideas!

DavidM
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree you shouldn't worry, but you shouldn't accept it from the breeder until it has eaten a few times either.

Mina
06-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Thank you both. No, I won't bring the baby home until it is eating, I wouldn't want to and the breeder won't let me anyway. How long can they go without eating before it becomes a problem?

MooreSnakes
06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I think they are good for about a month, and if they are not feeding until then, more drastic measures need to be taken. But since the breeder you're buying from sounds like a good guy, he probably will be able to get them to feed by then. I wouldn't worry, there are a lot of hatchling snakes that refuse their first meal and have no problems once they have begun to eat.
Congratulations, by the way, on getting your new snake :cheers:

Mina
06-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Thank you! I'm so excited!!! It is a ghost with lengthwise stripes (sorry I know nothing about color morphs) and it has a purple tinge to it. The breeder called it a "lavender ghost", this is my second snake and I've only had my ball python for a couple of months now, so I'm new to being owned by a snake. I'm so excited about the cornsnake, I've been waiting for almost a year now!!! :crazy02: