PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Eating Session...

Awkward Eating Session...

CMatt2157
07-01-2006, 01:31 AM
So today was feeding day for my corn and here goes the story:

His last feeding was his first live feeding and he constricted the mouse in less than 3 seconds. Had no problem in getting it down and no regurge.

So today is his next feeding day. I had to buy a small rat at the store because the stores feeder mice had died of heat. I placed the rat in with him and he did not look interested whatsoever. The rat was a little big for him but I was pretty confident he could get it down. However he did not.

So I went to the store later today and picked up frozen mice. I thawed one for him, however, during the thawing phase, it looked like the mouses belly was slit open and you could see a little of its insides.

Well I put the mouse with him and he began to eat. However, I checked 5 mins later and he only slimed up the head. He did this again and in doing so opened the mouses stomach up more. Kind of a nasty site but he did not eat this one. So I thawed one more for him and he seemed interested but never ate until I finally placed him back into his tank and for the heck up it decided to dangle it in front of him. He lashed at it and got it all down.

So I actually have a few questions.

1... Did he not take the rat because it was too big or because it was a rat and not a mouse?
2... Did he only slime up the first mouse and not swallow it all because its belly was slit open and some of his "guts" were hanging out? (This was his first brown mouse if that has anything to do with it)
3...Why did he dance all around the 2nd mouse and finally decide to take it after 10 mins of persuading? Could this be from feeding live last week?

Sorry for such a long post, but I am curious about this.

laanxx99
07-01-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm guessing he got a taste for live meat! If so, it's not a big deal really. Just buy your frozen mouse. Thaw him out and get a pair of long bamboo tweezers. Take the mouse by the hindquarters and wave it in front of the snake. This simulates the live experience and he will probably be all over it.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
07-01-2006, 02:11 AM
I agree with laanxx99. My first corn was brought up on live food and he wasn't very interested in pre-killed. So I used chopsticks and dangled it in front of him and he went for it. Now he goes for frozen like its the best. Good luck!

BeckyG
07-01-2006, 09:44 AM
1... Did he not take the rat because it was too big or because it was a rat and not a mouse?

Quite likely because it was a rat. If yours in an adult snake and established on mice, it might not want to take a rat simply because it is a rat.

2... Did he only slime up the first mouse and not swallow it all because its belly was slit open and some of his "guts" were hanging out? (This was his first brown mouse if that has anything to do with it)

I'd guess it was more likely the color. They can be picky that way. Some snakes will only take a certain color mice. Others eat anything. The guts hanging out would be more inticing for the snake to eat. At least it is with mine.

3...Why did he dance all around the 2nd mouse and finally decide to take it after 10 mins of persuading? Could this be from feeding live last week?

Sorry for such a long post, but I am curious about this.

It is possible it is from feeding live. Some snakes will switch back and forth from live to F/T with no problems. Others won't. You just may have ended up with a picky snake.

MegF.
07-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I suspect the rat smelled different and that put him off. As far as the belly split, if you use too hot a water immediately, it will weaken the stomach area causing the mess. I've found mine love the guts! They get a great feeding response with it. I've never had a problem feeding f/t even to animals that have been fed live forever. You just need to heat it well. Dangling does seem to stimulate feeding behavior and I've gone to using feeding tongs for most of them as the extra heat signature off my hands (although they don't heat sense for the most part) seems to slow them down.

SnakeAround
07-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I suspect the rat smelled different and that put him off. As far as the belly split, if you use too hot a water immediately, it will weaken the stomach area causing the mess. I've found mine love the guts! They get a great feeding response with it. I've never had a problem feeding f/t even to animals that have been fed live forever. You just need to heat it well. Dangling does seem to stimulate feeding behavior and I've gone to using feeding tongs for most of them as the extra heat signature off my hands (although they don't heat sense for the most part) seems to slow them down.

My king launches at my hand all the time when I don't use tongs! Today i just put a mouse on a flat surface by hand in his viv and he launched at my hand a couple of times almost jumping out of the viv folowing it! I though he was too far off.... guess not! :grin01: