PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Feeding

Attempted Feeding

CMatt2157
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I was wondering if you keep on attempting to feed a snake that refuses, will he get stressed out and refuse to eat for a while?

The reason I ask is because after reluctantly taking his first meal, my snake did not seem interested in his next meal whatsoever. He was scared of the mouse and kept trying to get out of his feed box. There was 3 days in between the 2 feeding attempts and I think maybe he was not hungry. Is there any truth to this?

If it means anything, both feedings were live in which he took the first one, but refused the second mouse. Both mice were plenty small for him to handle so I guess I am just curious.

Lennycorn
07-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Yes, they say you can condition a snake to refuse food. If the snake is healthy, you should just wait till the next feed day and feed then.

But I don't know why you snake refused food . They are normally opportunist eaters. Do you alway feed live?. And how old is the snake?.
Just reread your post , are you saying that the snake "took the first one, but refused the second mouse" and three day latter tried to feed the second mouse?

BeckyG
07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
It is possible that he just wasn't hungry. Three days later is too soon to be trying to feed again, especially if he ate the first time. How long to wait between feedings depends on how old the snake is. But even hatchlings aren't fed every three days.

CMatt2157
07-04-2006, 12:08 AM
I thought my post might be confusing. He has had 2 feeding... During the first one he did not seem to interested in a completely live mouse. Hate to be graphic but I broke the mouse's neck and he constricted it when it was twitching.

During the second feeding, he did not seem interested at all... just like the first feeding. So I once again broke the neck and was hoping he would take it while it was twitching. However he didn't... even after dangling the completely dead/limp mouse in front of him.

The reason why it was only 3 days in between feeding is because I had a live mouse that one of my boas wasn't going to take because he was in blue. I forgot about him being in blue when I was buying the mice. So I'm thinking he just wasn't hungry... or at least I'm hoping.