PDA

View Full Version : Iron 'warning' . . .

Iron 'warning' . . .

Drizzt80
07-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Just a little heads up to everyone . . . especially with the discussions recently on water source etc. . . ., but we had a memeber on our NDHerp site relate an unexpected, shocking death of a snake recently. It was a ball python, and from morning to evening it just died. She had a necropsy done on it, and the results were quite interesting:
He had liver failure caused by extreme amounts of iron in his system. Dr Dill said they couldn't tell how long the iron had been building up or how long it had been in his system. Once it reached the critical level his liver just shut down and he went quickly, 1-2 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas about where the iron could have come from? Dr Dill did say it's very rare and he could only find about 5 other instances of this elsewhere and the vets all disagreed as to the cause of the iron buildup. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Anyone have other ideas other than minerals in tap water?
D80

CodeJones
07-04-2006, 01:46 PM
It could have come from what the rats or mice were eating, Ive heard of people giveing muti-vitimans to there rodents, and I know these contain I high amount of Iron. Ive also read about finding high iron levels in rats that chew on the wire of there cage haviing a high Iron content, but I dont think either can cause deadly levels.

Paradox
07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
It's the small things that make the big things happen ;) A tiny amount building up over a long period of time can still reach fatal levels.

cowboyman13
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Just a little heads up to everyone . . . especially with the discussions recently on water source etc. . . ., but we had a memeber on our NDHerp site relate an unexpected, shocking death of a snake recently. It was a ball python, and from morning to evening it just died. She had a necropsy done on it, and the results were quite interesting:

Anyone have other ideas other than minerals in tap water?
D80

I wonder if they where on well water. Alltough water with high amounts of iron tend to take on an orangeish color. Usually from rusting pipes. Maybe they lived in an old house with old iron screw pipe plumbing. High concentrations of iron can quickly kill a human child, i can imagine a pet snake would die rather quickly. Of course in humans it is usually from overdosing on iron supplements like vitamens. I wonder if there was a supplement they where adding to the water that they where overdosing.

As far as in the city or county supplied tap water. I know testing and quality control on water happens more frequently or infrequently from location to location. I recently received a test report from my city i will have to look to see if they break down minerals as one of the containments.

Cflaguy
07-05-2006, 04:56 PM
and am now concerned for the animals. Next time I catch the serviceman, he has a bunch of questions to answer.
But then my next ? will be, what would be considered high for me let alone the anmals?

PnyKlr
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
By law, your city/municipality must notify you if your water has high levels of anything in it. They will send out notices after they have been tested, and these notices will tell you what your reaction to the news should be (i.e. safe to drink, boil water, buy bottled). Last year we had a high level of ____ (something beginning with an "r"...but I forget), and were notified via-snail mail. We have also been issued a follow-up letter when the water was "cleaned-up." I wouldn't worry about what is safe for you...but I can't speak for your animals.

cowboyman13
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
and am now concerned for the animals. Next time I catch the serviceman, he has a bunch of questions to answer.
But then my next ? will be, what would be considered high for me let alone the anmals?

I believe you can take your water down and have it tested for free, but i cant remeber where. When i lived in North Ga we all had well water. Thats what i grew up on. I would think it would take alot more than the little found in your well to harm you or any other human even over long periods of time. But i would have it tested for piece of mind on my reptiles.

Seems i remember seeing all kinds of things coming out of the faucet growing up. From the smell of sulpher to strange colored water coming out of the tap. We just poured in some clorox down the well every now and then.

Cflaguy
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
property. I'm sure even if they aren't out here checking it, and I've never seen anybody do it, I can call them and they will.

Ah Cowboy how are ya?
We have a good filter system and I suspect Sodium may be my only concern.
And a quick question. I know you've been to Hillsborough, but ever been to Myakka (or Myaaka)?

cowboyman13
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Private property or not i believe you can still have it tested for free. Maybe at one of the extensions office. You just take a sample to them. I don't know what all an saltwater aquarium shop test for but i bet you could have it tested there for free too if you pretended to show a little intrest in fish. You'd be back anyway to buy new tanks for snakes.

I haven't tried Myakka have you been there recently. I took a walking trip thru a couple county parks and the Hills state park over the weekend. Glad to see the river finally coming back up a little. Its been so dry you couldn't even paddle it.