PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions........

Any suggestions........

gwb8568
07-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I searched but could not find my answer. Sorry if this has already been asked or posted, but is there anyone that could give a few basic tips on how to go on your first herp hunt. I live in South Central Texas if that helps. I was just wanting to know if certain areas are better than others, do you use flashlights and a pillow case like you do in snipe hunting :crazy02: , is there a book or website that shows the types of snakes that are common in certain areas of the country? Sorry, just thought it would be neat to do with my little boy. Growing up in W. Texas we always had to deal with the rattlers, but I don't want to look for those. Also, it seems alot of stories and pictures that deal with field herping show people catching snakes in the road. I don't understand this because all of the ones I have seen in street are road-kill (maybe it's just that way in the east and west). Thanks again if anyone can help. :cheers:

cornsnakekid92
07-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I can not really help you out too much, but..... just look under everything, espercial near water, and put everything back they way you got it.

sfaoldguy
07-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I live in East Texas and I use "Texas Snakes: A field guide". The information and range maps of the snakes are really good... It can be found at Hasting and Barnes and Noble as well as other chains...
Here is a pic of the cover...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/ogcaldwell/fieldguide.jpg

I find that driving from about 30 minutes before dark to 30 minutes after dark works best for me... I usually pick areas within one mile of a permanent water source... If you want to trap your snakes, the minnow traps at wal-mart (a mesh cylinder with funnel openings on both ends) that cost less than $10 supposedly work well... You can cut the opening bigger to catch bigger snakes as well...

For searching during the middle of the day, I think someone else could help you more with that...

I do suggest getting some tongs or a hook...

Good luck...
John

PS: My three kids love herping with their daddy...

gwb8568
07-15-2006, 09:27 PM
will try to find that book on ebay tonight, if not then we have a hastings here. i guess with the trapping method you wold just put in some type of food substance and leave it overnight (thats sounds like a good idea). to me it's not a sporting chance, like deer hunting around a feeder, but it would at least get me started. plus i wouldn't be killing them anyway. thanks for the reply and helpful advice. i used to live in east tex (longview/palestine).

Pat GC
07-15-2006, 09:37 PM
What do you mean by South Central TX???

Pat Glazener-Cooney

Pat GC
07-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Duh, all I had to do was look at your stats. Go west from New Braunfels. I have found snakes on the road all along the Guadaloupe River. You'll have to get permission but all that country out there is prime snake hunting country. Right now it's too warm. You'll can find water snakes and garters by the river but most snakes are estivating to keep from cooking. The occasional idiot can be found out and about! The best time to hunt is March through early June and mid-September to first of November. And the very best thing you can do is take a camera not a sack. The only reason I believe to justify capture of wild snakes is to infuse new blood into breeding projects and even that is iffy. Just my $.02>

Pat Glazener-Cooney

gwb8568
07-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Duh, all I had to do was look at your stats. Go west from New Braunfels. I have found snakes on the road all along the Guadaloupe River. You'll have to get permission but all that country out there is prime snake hunting country. Right now it's too warm. You'll can find water snakes and garters by the river but most snakes are estivating to keep from cooking. The occasional idiot can be found out and about! The best time to hunt is March through early June and mid-September to first of November. And the very best thing you can do is take a camera not a sack. The only reason I believe to justify capture of wild snakes is to infuse new blood into breeding projects and even that is iffy. Just my $.02>

Pat Glazener-Cooney

first of all............thanks for your reply and advice. i worked on the river for 2 years as an outfitter and never found anything (then again you can't play when you work). i have been out there rafting, fly fishing and just plain playing without any luck. i do know that everything off of river road is private property, but i do know a few people i could ask to get on there land. and i would take a camera also, it would be treated just as when i go fishing.........catch and release with no harm done. thanks again neighbor for your reply. :wavey:

sfaoldguy
07-15-2006, 10:28 PM
The only reason I believe to justify capture of wild snakes is to infuse new blood into breeding projects and even that is iffy. Just my $.02>

Pat Glazener-Cooney

Pat brings up a very good and relevant subject. I personally do not have a problem with keeping one of each type of common snake in the area if you don't plan on breeding them. If you want to breed them, then I condone keeping a couple more. I am strongly against those who keep wild caught snakes for resale. This activity leads to hundreds of snakes in a single area being removed which can quickly threaten their survival. If you do chose to keep some, try to give back by using them to educate others, especially youth, about the various local species and conservation.

:cheers:

gwb8568
07-15-2006, 10:36 PM
and i would take a camera also, it would be treated just as when i go fishing.........catch and release with no harm done.

you might have posted right when i did this..........but just in case. no keepers here. :cheers:

mike17l
07-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree, I keep only what I want personally. I would not resell most anything that I caught. As far as looking for snakes, road cruising is probably your best bet. I road cruise from just before dark until about 10:00-midnight. As a note, this year has been very bad for road cruising in general across Texas. You can maximize your chances by cruising during prime time. Prime time would be during and around the New Moon, and shortly after and before any weather event, especially if the barometric pressure is dropping. If you have access to some land you can place out artificial refugia(cover boards) in the way of plywood and scrap pieces of tin. You can turn stuff up flipping cover boards most of the time, as long as it ain't blazin hot out. Many triangulum in Texas have been found under cover boards in the winter. From New Braunfels I would travel North West into the hill country in search of Baird's Rat Snakes, they are probably the neatest snake in the area. If you really want to get crazy, extreme West Texas is the place to go. Any thing west of Del Rio, Grey-Banded Kingsnakes are native to that area, and are in my opinion, the coolest snake around (yes, better than corns).

If you want something a little more in depth than a field guide, you can get Texas Snakes by Werler and Dixion. (instead of saying "Field Guide" in the name of the book, it says something along the lines of "Natural History, something or other". It is a bit larger, but has a lot more information. If you just want the basics, the field guide is the way to go.

My brother and dad caught this girl at the base of a rock cut, about 20 miles north of Comstock, TX.
http://www.southtexasherps.com/images/GBK_F_008_02.JPG
I found this behemoth of a female, while road cruising, about 25 miles north of Del Rio.
http://www.southtexasherps.com/images/GBK_F_009_02.JPG

pcar
07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I searched but could not find my answer. Sorry if this has already been asked or posted, but is there anyone that could give a few basic tips on how to go on your first herp hunt. I live in South Central Texas if that helps. I was just wanting to know if certain areas are better than others, do you use flashlights and a pillow case like you do in snipe hunting :crazy02: , is there a book or website that shows the types of snakes that are common in certain areas of the country? Sorry, just thought it would be neat to do with my little boy. Growing up in W. Texas we always had to deal with the rattlers, but I don't want to look for those. Also, it seems alot of stories and pictures that deal with field herping show people catching snakes in the road. I don't understand this because all of the ones I have seen in street are road-kill (maybe it's just that way in the east and west). Thanks again if anyone can help. :cheers:

If you wanted to do this, then you should have just given me a call. I go to a few places close by, and then there is always the trans pecos trip, West tesas trip (goes out near Big Bend), and a few other places that aren't too far to travel.

gwb8568
07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree, I keep only what I want personally. I would not resell most anything that I caught. As far as looking for snakes, road cruising is probably your best bet. I road cruise from just before dark until about 10:00-midnight. As a note, this year has been very bad for road cruising in general across Texas. You can maximize your chances by cruising during prime time. Prime time would be during and around the New Moon, and shortly after and before any weather event, especially if the barometric pressure is dropping. If you have access to some land you can place out artificial refugia(cover boards) in the way of plywood and scrap pieces of tin. You can turn stuff up flipping cover boards most of the time, as long as it ain't blazin hot out. Many triangulum in Texas have been found under cover boards in the winter. From New Braunfels I would travel North West into the hill country in search of Baird's Rat Snakes, they are probably the neatest snake in the area. If you really want to get crazy, extreme West Texas is the place to go. Any thing west of Del Rio, Grey-Banded Kingsnakes are native to that area, and are in my opinion, the coolest snake around (yes, better than corns).

If you want something a little more in depth than a field guide, you can get Texas Snakes by Werler and Dixion. (instead of saying "Field Guide" in the name of the book, it says something along the lines of "Natural History, something or other". It is a bit larger, but has a lot more information. If you just want the basics, the field guide is the way to go.

Thank you for your reply and help. Those are some awesome finds, I am basically from west texas and all we ever found were either bull snakes or always the local rattler. Will try a few of your tactics and see if I can locate something.

If you wanted to do this, then you should have just given me a call. I go to a few places close by, and then there is always the trans pecos trip, West tesas trip (goes out near Big Bend), and a few other places that aren't too far to travel.

Duh.........I thought about that right after starting this thread. Yes, we do need to hook up somethime and "go herpin". Will talk to you soon, or at least at the Austin Expo if not sooner. Thanks again.

kathylove
07-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Bill just returned from an adventure in Texas, during the IHS conference in June. Although much of the trip was in west Texas, he did some hunting closer to San Antonio also.

Although Bill only brought back a pet vinegaroon (sp?) or whip scorpion, his friend did bring back a pair of something they really hoped to find. You will have to read the whole travelogue if you want to find out what they were, lol!

Hope some of you may enjoy it!

http://www.bluechameleon.org/2006%20June%20Texas%20Trip%20-%20Part%201.htm

gwb8568
07-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Bill just returned from an adventure in Texas, during the IHS conference in June. Although much of the trip was in west Texas, he did some hunting closer to San Antonio also.

Although Bill only brought back a pet vinegaroon (sp?) or whip scorpion, his friend did bring back a pair of something they really hoped to find. You will have to read the whole travelogue if you want to find out what they were, lol!

thank you very much kathy for that little trip detail. those are some awesome snakes that were found and only 1-2 hours from where i live. and the last pic of the show was the one that i usually go to in Live Oak (outside of SA). i didn't see anyone looking like a green goblin while i was there, but then again never would have known who it was. thanks again for the pics.

mike17l
07-19-2006, 11:57 PM

Kathy, I enjoyed meeting Bill and Daniel in San Antonio and out on Juno Rd. You can let him know that I scored again the last night I was out. A big female on 277. Hope you enjoy the blizzards.

http://www.southtexasherps.com/images/GBK_F_009_02.JPG

pcar
07-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Great story cathy, and put some plans in my mind of heading out that way this fall. You ready Galen? Head out there for a 3 or 4 day weekend in Oct or Nov?

gwb8568
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Great story cathy, and put some plans in my mind of heading out that way this fall. You ready Galen? Head out there for a 3 or 4 day weekend in Oct or Nov?

giddiup........... :cheers:

mike17l
07-20-2006, 06:17 PM

Guys, just so you know, Oct and Nov are not very good months, that far west. "Desireable" species (grey-bands) are usually under ground hibernating by then. I am not saying it can't, or hasn't, been done, but your time would most likely be better spent a little earlier, like in early Sept. I was in Alpine last Nov. looking at the school. I spent a little time at a friend's study site in the Davis Mountains, of course I had my eyes glued to the ground, but I never saw one snake, or herp for that matter. If yall have a restricted schedule, I would advise to get out there as early as possible. If the choices are October and November, I would go in October.

Good Luck!

pcar
07-21-2006, 12:27 PM
thanks for the info, might have to see what my September schedule is like. More than likely, this year is totally out for me and i will end up going spring of next year.